Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

Savory Cupcakes: The Healthier Alternative to the Classic Sweet

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:16 PM
  • 43 Replies

http://www.redtri.com/kids/cupcake-foods?utm_source=contactology&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=FoodNewsletter20130204

We can think of at least a dozen reasons why cupcakeries like Magnolia Bakery, Georgetown Cupcakes, or Sprinkles are here to stay. Maybe it's the fact that those sweet cupcakes are just the right portion for little bellies, or simply that kids love to eat anything that doesn't require a fork, or perhaps that the bite-sized portion is a good excuse for us to indulge without worrying too much about that diet that we're uh, supposed to be on. And while we won't get into the best cupcakery debate, we will weigh in on the fact that these tasty bites aren't just for those with a sweet tooth. We've found some delicious savory cupcake foods that make great appetizers for the adults and perfect sized bites for our little ones. Happy snacking!

The possibilities for cupcake foods seem endless. Do you have a favorite savory cupcake that you've made yourself? Share it with us in a comment below.

by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Vertical15

Double Decker Taco Cupcakes
As if tacos weren't already finger food-y enough for you, these little bites are super easy to throw together and have that satisfying crunch you crave. Bake the wonton wrappers in the oven and once they come out, top with your favorite taco fixin's and they're ready to eat. Great for a Cinco de Mayo gathering or just plain old appetizers for your next Mexican night.

Vertical15

Pot Pie Cupcakes
Soft, doughy outside, moist and flavorful inside, these mini chicken pot pies pack all that savory goodness that reminds us of grandma's cooking into an adorably cute cupcake. Mix it up with whatever kind of veggies you have on hand, and your little ones will hardly even notice as they dig in. They probably won't even need a fork--these treats are great to just pop into your mouth.

Vertical15

Jalapeño Cheddar Cupcakes
These fluffy cupcakes aren't super spicy, but boast a full flavor that would serve as a great side at a BBQ or even brunch. The cheese and chives are subtle yet flavorful, and you can control the heat by limiting the amount of jalapeño seeds. Don't be surprised if a whole pan doesn't last you very long, as it's tough to eat just one of these tasty bites.

Vertical15

Pizza Cupcakes
Once your little ones have tried these mini pizzas, they'll swear off BagelBites and Lunchables for good. With the addition of mini pepperoni slices, these pizza creations look just like miniature version of a real pie. Biting into these cupcakes even produces hot, gooey strings of melted cheesy goodness just like munching on a regular slice. Pack a few of these in your kiddo's lunch and you can be sure they'll be anxiously awaiting snack time.

Vertical15

Mac N' Cheese Cupcakes
Yes, you read correctly. Now your kiddo can enjoy his or her standby snack whenever hunger strikes. These cupcakes pack a lot of energy into a small portion, so your little eaters won't need to eat a lot to get the fuel they need for their next adventure.

TigerofMu
by Sonja on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:21 PM

Oh I have cupcake blogs! :)  One of my favorite authors is Jenn McKinlay, who wrote the Cupcake Mysteries, and I love to try out the recipes she prints in each book!

I have her wonderful recipe for Moonlight Madness Cupcakes and a great blog entry of when I made them for my own family!

Here are a couple more:

http://freshwateracademy.blogspot.com/2012/01/cupcakes-from-mysteries-by-jenn.html

http://freshwateracademy.blogspot.com/2012/08/twisted-thunder-cake.html

TigerofMu
by Sonja on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:22 PM

I made red velvet cupcakes with beets not too long ago also.

TigerofMu
by Sonja on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:22 PM

I just don't know...

Quoting Vertical15:

Double Decker Taco Cupcakes
As if tacos weren't already finger food-y enough for you, these little bites are super easy to throw together and have that satisfying crunch you crave. Bake the wonton wrappers in the oven and once they come out, top with your favorite taco fixin's and they're ready to eat. Great for a Cinco de Mayo gathering or just plain old appetizers for your next Mexican night.

TigerofMu
by Sonja on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:23 PM

Actually, that would be handy when making pot pies.

Quoting Vertical15:

Pot Pie Cupcakes
Soft, doughy outside, moist and flavorful inside, these mini chicken pot pies pack all that savory goodness that reminds us of grandma's cooking into an adorably cute cupcake. Mix it up with whatever kind of veggies you have on hand, and your little ones will hardly even notice as they dig in. They probably won't even need a fork--these treats are great to just pop into your mouth.

TigerofMu
by Sonja on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:23 PM

Those look yummy!

Quoting Vertical15:

Jalapeño Cheddar Cupcakes
These fluffy cupcakes aren't super spicy, but boast a full flavor that would serve as a great side at a BBQ or even brunch. The cheese and chives are subtle yet flavorful, and you can control the heat by limiting the amount of jalapeño seeds. Don't be surprised if a whole pan doesn't last you very long, as it's tough to eat just one of these tasty bites.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)