Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dos and Don't of Skin Care for kids! (preteens and teens)

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:37 AM
  • 55 Replies

http://www.kidzworld.com/article/8109-dos-and-donts-of-skin-care#

Dos and Don'ts of Skin Care

Wash your face every day to keep your skin clean and healthy.
Skin Care

Some people may be born with flawless complexions, but most of us have to work at it. Check out Kidzworld's dos and don'ts on how to take care of your skin!

Skin Care - Cleansing

• DO wash your face twice a day to keep your skin clean and healthy - in the morning after you wake up and before you go to bed at night. Wash your face more often if you work up a sweat in P.E. or play a lot of sports throughout the day.
  • DO
  • use the right cleanser for your skin type. Use an oil-free cleanser for oily skin, a soothing cleanser for dry skin, and an acne-fighting cleanser with salicylic acid and benzoyl peroxide for problem skin.
  • DON'T go to sleep with make-up on, no matter how tired you are! It'll clog up your pores and cause zits.
  • DON'T overdo it. Washing your face 10 times a day to get rid of the greasies will only dry out your face.

Skin Care - Exfoliating

• DO exfoliate once a week to remove the buildup of dead skin cells.
  • DON'T overdo it. Exfoliating too often will only irritate your skin.

Skin Care - Moisturizing

• DO moisturize your face every day to keep your skin hydrated and well-balanced.
  • DO use the right moisturizer for your skin type. Use a light one for oily or problem skin, and a more intense one for drier skin.
  • DO wear sunscreen with an SPF of 15 (at least!) every day.
  • DON'T overdo it. Slathering your face with half a bottle of moisturizer cuz your skin is on the dry side isn't going to do the trick.

Skin Care - Treatments

• DO drink plenty of water to keep your skin hydrated.
  • DO get plenty of sleep.
  • DON'T pop pimples! Picking your zits can cause scarring, so keep your fingers away from your face.

Read more: Skin Care Tips | Kids & Teens | Face | Wash | Cleanser | Moisturizer | Skin Type | Acne | Treatment | Dos and Don'ts http://www.kidzworld.com/article/8109-dos-and-donts-of-skin-care#ixzz2K876CHFp

by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Vertical15
by Vanessa on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:38 AM

My 10yo got his first pimple and it really bothered him so we are looking for ways to keep this from getting out of control.  I need to do some research to find the best product for him to wash his face daily with other then the regular soap in the shower.

LntLckrsCmQut
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:42 AM

I don't agree with using sun screen every day. When it's scorching hot outside and you are going to be in it for a while, sure. You body needs sunshine and you body needs to be sunscreen free to absorb it. Be cautious when it's the right time, but don't be paranoid over the sun.

TerriC
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 2:47 PM
My 9 year old just got her first blemish. She was horrified. Lol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Vertical15
by Vanessa on Feb. 6, 2013 at 6:35 PM

I see your point.  I only use it and put it on the kids for extended periods of outdoor time.  Though my daily moisturizer has SPF 10 or so I think?

Quoting LntLckrsCmQut:

I don't agree with using sun screen every day. When it's scorching hot outside and you are going to be in it for a while, sure. You body needs sunshine and you body needs to be sunscreen free to absorb it. Be cautious when it's the right time, but don't be paranoid over the sun.

Vertical15
by Vanessa on Feb. 6, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Love kids!  I took him to Target this afternoon to find a good face wash and we gave up and I promised him I would look online to find something for him.  They had a ton of harsh washes but I want something gentle.

Quoting TerriC:

LntLckrsCmQut
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:41 PM

It's your choice but your body will not absorb Vit D from the sun, which is the best resource.

Quoting Vertical15:

I see your point.  I only use it and put it on the kids for extended periods of outdoor time.  Though my daily moisturizer has SPF 10 or so I think?

Quoting LntLckrsCmQut:

norahsmommy
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:47 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't agree with some things on this list. Sun screen every day? No. It has nasty stuff in it and should be reserved for prolonged sun exposure. Washing too often is just as bad as not enough. A simple splash of water ( no soap) in the morning and a gentle wash in the evening in the shower/bath/sink with a gentle cleanser is enough.
I have found that oil based cleansers and lotions are best for oily skin. It teaches your oil glands not to overproduce.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
egyptian_mommy
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:10 PM
1 mom liked this
Tfs
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TerriC
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 7:10 AM
2 moms liked this

She has had one blemish and asked me to buy Pro-Activ.  Darn that Justin Beiber for endorsing it.  LOL

Quoting Vertical15:

Love kids!  I took him to Target this afternoon to find a good face wash and we gave up and I promised him I would look online to find something for him.  They had a ton of harsh washes but I want something gentle.

Quoting TerriC:

Vertical15
by Vanessa on Feb. 7, 2013 at 12:39 PM
1 mom liked this

I would think I still get the exposure through my arms-I only put it on my face and neck.  I know I don't have the best skin care regimine but I'm sure I can't be doing myself that much harm.  Chances are I'll end up with some type of cancer, be it skin or other!

Quoting LntLckrsCmQut:

It's your choice but your body will not absorb Vit D from the sun, which is the best resource.

Quoting Vertical15:

Quoting LntLckrsCmQut:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)