Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

Dos and Don't of Skin Care for kids! (preteens and teens)

Posted by   + Show Post

http://www.kidzworld.com/article/8109-dos-and-donts-of-skin-care#

Dos and Don'ts of Skin Care

Wash your face every day to keep your skin clean and healthy.
Skin Care

Some people may be born with flawless complexions, but most of us have to work at it. Check out Kidzworld's dos and don'ts on how to take care of your skin!

Skin Care - Cleansing

• DO wash your face twice a day to keep your skin clean and healthy - in the morning after you wake up and before you go to bed at night. Wash your face more often if you work up a sweat in P.E. or play a lot of sports throughout the day.
  • DO
  • use the right cleanser for your skin type. Use an oil-free cleanser for oily skin, a soothing cleanser for dry skin, and an acne-fighting cleanser with salicylic acid and benzoyl peroxide for problem skin.
  • DON'T go to sleep with make-up on, no matter how tired you are! It'll clog up your pores and cause zits.
  • DON'T overdo it. Washing your face 10 times a day to get rid of the greasies will only dry out your face.

Skin Care - Exfoliating

• DO exfoliate once a week to remove the buildup of dead skin cells.
  • DON'T overdo it. Exfoliating too often will only irritate your skin.

Skin Care - Moisturizing

• DO moisturize your face every day to keep your skin hydrated and well-balanced.
  • DO use the right moisturizer for your skin type. Use a light one for oily or problem skin, and a more intense one for drier skin.
  • DO wear sunscreen with an SPF of 15 (at least!) every day.
  • DON'T overdo it. Slathering your face with half a bottle of moisturizer cuz your skin is on the dry side isn't going to do the trick.

Skin Care - Treatments

• DO drink plenty of water to keep your skin hydrated.
  • DO get plenty of sleep.
  • DON'T pop pimples! Picking your zits can cause scarring, so keep your fingers away from your face.

Read more: Skin Care Tips | Kids & Teens | Face | Wash | Cleanser | Moisturizer | Skin Type | Acne | Treatment | Dos and Don'ts http://www.kidzworld.com/article/8109-dos-and-donts-of-skin-care#ixzz2K876CHFp

by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:37 AM
Replies (51-55):
Vertical15
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:57 AM

Aww that stinks.  I know I've used stuff that burns and I quit using it right away!

Quoting kjbugsmom1517:

She would say "its working it takes time to adjust or use it alittle longer u will adjust" she just didnt know better. But it still sucked and as i grew and started buying my own stuff the frustration grew. She always thought as long as it didnt break me out it was ok but that stuff was harsh! The clean and clear was the worst. I tried nutrogena for a good long time but it stopped working. I hate my skin lol i wish i could just start over. But i just spend a pretty penny and do what i can to keep it from breaking out and having scars.

Quoting Vertical15:

I'm trying to avoid anything that burns because I want him to get into the habit of washing his face daily and not dreading it.  So sad your mom made you do that!  At least you aren't turned off by taking care of your skin now!

Quoting kjbugsmom1517:

When looking for cleansers keep in mind if it burns even alittle its not right for your skin. If ya turn red dont continue to use it. My mom would make me use stuff that burned and turned my skin red to this very day i have acne. I now use a Murad acne skincare line and it has done wonders. I still break out but this stuff doesnt burn or irritate my skin. I have super sensitive skin. Proactiv made my skin go insane. Ive tried everything u can buy on the shelves very few things didnt burn, if they didnt burn then i didnt clear up either. Harsh stuff is not good for young skin. I dread this day for my girls and i hope they dont have my skin and got my husbands lol. That man never had acne and can wash his face with a bar of soap.

Vertical15
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 12:10 PM

Interesting.  I never knew that.

Quoting new_mom808:

Persistant acne is often a sign of iodine deficiency. Iodine deficience is beginning to show up nationwide. We used to get plenty from processed flour and salt, but more people are switching to non-iodized salts, and wheat is no longer processed using iodine. More often they use the very similar bromine, which not only destroys your kidneys and liver (because they try to process it as iodine) but may also BLOCK the bodys ability to absorb iodine.

Quoting kjbugsmom1517:

She would say "its working it takes time to adjust or use it alittle longer u will adjust" she just didnt know better. But it still sucked and as i grew and started buying my own stuff the frustration grew. She always thought as long as it didnt break me out it was ok but that stuff was harsh! The clean and clear was the worst. I tried nutrogena for a good long time but it stopped working. I hate my skin lol i wish i could just start over. But i just spend a pretty penny and do what i can to keep it from breaking out and having scars.

Quoting Vertical15:

I'm trying to avoid anything that burns because I want him to get into the habit of washing his face daily and not dreading it.  So sad your mom made you do that!  At least you aren't turned off by taking care of your skin now!

Quoting kjbugsmom1517:

When looking for cleansers keep in mind if it burns even alittle its not right for your skin. If ya turn red dont continue to use it. My mom would make me use stuff that burned and turned my skin red to this very day i have acne. I now use a Murad acne skincare line and it has done wonders. I still break out but this stuff doesnt burn or irritate my skin. I have super sensitive skin. Proactiv made my skin go insane. Ive tried everything u can buy on the shelves very few things didnt burn, if they didnt burn then i didnt clear up either. Harsh stuff is not good for young skin. I dread this day for my girls and i hope they dont have my skin and got my husbands lol. That man never had acne and can wash his face with a bar of soap.

kjbugsmom1517
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 12:33 PM
MMakes sense as i add very little salt to anything and im hypothyroid too.

Quoting new_mom808:

Persistant acne is often a sign of iodine deficiency. Iodine deficience is beginning to show up nationwide. We used to get plenty from processed flour and salt, but more people are switching to non-iodized salts, and wheat is no longer processed using iodine. More often they use the very similar bromine, which not only destroys your kidneys and liver (because they try to process it as iodine) but may also BLOCK the bodys ability to absorb iodine.

Quoting kjbugsmom1517:

Quoting Vertical15:

Quoting kjbugsmom1517:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
new_mom808
by Andrea on Feb. 12, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Even if you dont want the extra sodium, there are other food sources that are iodine rich. Kelp, seafood, even cow milk.

Quoting kjbugsmom1517:

MMakes sense as i add very little salt to anything and im hypothyroid too.

Quoting new_mom808:

Quoting kjbugsmom1517:

Quoting Vertical15:

Quoting kjbugsmom1517:

Madelaine
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 7:10 PM
1 mom liked this

thanks

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)