Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

Should I just give her meat or none at all?

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:56 AM
  • 11 Replies

So I was a lacto-ovo-vegetarian before I was pregnant with DD, but with how badly animic I was, my doctor told me to start eating at least chicken/turkey.  But after I had my DD, I went back to being vegetarian.  My DD had now 11 months old, and I don't know if it would be a good idea or not to not give her meats.  She has had some meat already, and Dh thinks we should keep giving it to her until she is older and let her pick if she wants to be like Mommy or Daddy (he eats meat).  I kind of agree, but I don't want to give her red meats.  Is that a bad idea?  Should I just give her meat or none at all?  

by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TerriC
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 2:45 PM
Have you asked a Dr.? I know red meat has protein but if there are other ways she can get it, maybe red meat isn't necessary. I think I would ask a doctor. :-)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
emmy526
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 2:48 PM

just make sure her diet is adequate in nutrients and it really doesn't matter if she eats meat or not...if you do give her meat, make sure its organic farmed, with out antibiotics or hormones

SlightlyPerfect
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 3:45 PM

What are your reasons for not giving her meat? Allergies? Anything genetic?

slightlyperfect

MJP76
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 5:59 PM

I personally would feed her what you cook. One thing I have always taught my kids is that my kitchen is not a buffet. If I cook something, that I know one of them may not particularly like, then I will just give them a small spoonful rather than a serving size..

but, no I don't cook seperate meals for everyone.. They eat what I put out or they don't eat..

TonyaLea
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 6:46 PM

I think it is up to you, and also depends upon your daughter's appetite / diet.  If she eats plenty of foods that can make up for the lack of meat (things with plenty of protein, iron, etc) than she may be fine without the meat. 

egyptian_mommy
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:17 PM
That's a tough one. Does she eat enough other proteins and iron rich foods to make up for the lack of meat?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mhmomma
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:37 PM

Have you talked to her doctor?  My kids do not eat red meat.  We do try to make sure there is protien in their diets each day.  Also Iron rich foods

new_mom808
by Andrea on Feb. 7, 2013 at 8:37 AM

As long as she's getting all the nutrients she needs, I think it's totally up to you how you eat, and feed her.
You may get to test out multiple methods. Around 18 months - 2 years they go through a terribly picky phase. DS spent a week eating nothing but cream cheese on toast, spinach, avacados and blueberries. That was fun. It's also pretty common for toddlers to go through a "no meat" phase.

If you dont have strong feelings either way, just roll with it.

Vertical15
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 2:43 PM

I'm with the other posts.  As long as she is getting the nutrients she needs and you both are happy with how she is growing along with her Dr then I wouldn't be worried.

TigerofMu
by Sonja on Feb. 8, 2013 at 3:45 AM

I don't see any reason why you can't feed her what you decide as parents.  If you both agree to let her have meat and let her choose when she is older, then feed her the meats that you choose for her.  As long as you are vigilant, there are lots of ways to get iron outside of red meat and without taking supplements.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)