Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

Ear piercing vs. circumcision double standard

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 6:41 PM
  • 57 Replies

One of my friends posted this on Facebook, and I thought it was an interesting argument about double standards, I had never heard the piercing / circumcision debate discussed this way:

"Now, I've heard this argument time and time again.. how parents won't pierce their daughter's ears until SHE'S ready and responsible to take care of them. Though I respect that, and am in no way, shape or form out to attack anyone for the choices they've made for their children.. I am bewildered why piercing your daughter's ear at such a young age has become more taboo than circumcising your son just days after his birth. Why the double standard? Why is it more ok to sign away your son, without his consent, to a procedure using anesthesia and restraints with an outcome that is irreversible and unnecessary but such a big deal to sign a consent form for a tiny hole that is no more painful than an immunization shot and can heal if later not desired? I just don't get it..."

I know the controversy on CM: those that think neither is Ok, those that think both are fine...but if you are in the middle ground - why? (and please be civil and respectful, this is a great drama-free group for the most part)

by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 6:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mipsy
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:56 PM
3 moms liked this

I think both are fine to do at a young age. Your child, your beliefs, your way.

joyfullem
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:01 PM

With my sons circumcision there was no anesthesia or restrainst just a doctor and a nurse.  I think they used a numbing cream but no needles or anything.  A pierced ear is something I will not do because I am allergic to almost every metal and the younger they are done the more likely that they will develope allergies to the metals.  I am having second thoughts on circumcision but I do not think they are compareable

norahsmommy
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:06 PM
1 mom liked this
I won't do either until my child wants it done. Ear piercing they have to be at least 10 before they can decide. Circumsision, well, my son can decide that as an adult. If he wants it ill pay for it but he has to be an adult. The reason for the age discrepancy is that circ is permanent and not reversible and changes the function of the penis. Ear piercing will heal ( with a small scar) and does not change the function of the ear at all.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
egyptian_mommy
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:13 PM
Eh. My boys are circumcised and my dd had her ears pierced at 4 months. Those were our choices for them. What someone else chooses is up to them.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
paknari
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:19 PM
Eh I don't think ofnotnthat way at all. I didn't get my daughters ears pierced at a really young age because I think of it as an accessory. What of she's a tomboy and hates all Girly things? I dont think of it as a medical procedure. I also don't care if someone does do it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ardiaxe
by Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 12:29 AM

Ear piercing does have risks just as circumcision does.  An ear can get infected, form keloid scarring, tear, cause mild to severe allergic reactions.  Not all heal nicely and can be reversed by simply removing the piercing.  I can understand the comparison to circumcision which also has risks such as infection, keloid scarring, reactions to the topical anesthetic and an improper cut.  The majority of both procedures heal nicely.  

I chose to circumcise my son because we are Jewish, it was done in our home by a rabbi, no retraints.  It healed without infection.  I did not pierce my daughters ears because I am worried her earring would get caught on something and tear her ear.  When she is old enough to care for it on her own she can have it.

deutschemarck
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 1:59 AM

I circumcised my son but if I had a daughter I wouldn't peirce her ears... just my opinions/thoughs/feelings.

TerriC
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:40 AM

To each their own.  I have girls, but my brother and his (ex) wife chose not to circumcise my nephew, so he could make the choice.  The Dr. warned them, as he gets older it would be major surgery.  He is 17 now and is not happy with his parents decision at all.  Not debating at all, just giving a look into what someone going through it feels.

jamamama00
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:48 AM
1 mom liked this

Just so ya know, my husband is not circ'd, and he said he was majorly aggravated at his mom for not doing it at around that same age (16/17). Then later, he had a change of heart and was glad he was intact. Hopefully your nephew will be the same way! My DH said in the end he felt like it helped him to learn to deal with his insecurities better....

Quoting TerriC:

To each their own.  I have girls, but my brother and his (ex) wife chose not to circumcise my nephew, so he could make the choice.  The Dr. warned them, as he gets older it would be major surgery.  He is 17 now and is not happy with his parents decision at all.  Not debating at all, just giving a look into what someone going through it feels.

TerriC
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:51 AM

That is good to hear.  I hope my nephew sees it that way one day.  =-)

Quoting jamamama00:

Just so ya know, my husband is not circ'd, and he said he was majorly aggravated at his mom for not doing it at around that same age (16/17). Then later, he had a change of heart and was glad he was intact. Hopefully your nephew will be the same way! My DH said in the end he felt like it helped him to learn to deal with his insecurities better....

Quoting TerriC:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN