Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

This isn't meant to be a debate I just was wondering if. *update**

Posted by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:39 AM
  • 19 Replies

Anyone vaxs when your kids are on an antibiotic. I've been doing a lot of reading and I've pretty much made up my mind. I'm just not looking forward to the fight I'm going to get for the pediatrician. We have to go in this afternoon for a one year check up and dd is on a pencillian based antibiotic for another week. She's never reacted we'll to shots to begin with so we have to break them up. I want to wait until the end of the month giving her time to finish up the meds and get her back to normal. I have my dhs support. So I'm not concerned there. I was just wondering what all of your thoughts were?

***update: no shots today. We go back in 2 weeks. They were absolutely fine with it. Totally understanding. I was so relieved. Thanks everyone for your responses and support****

by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bookwormy
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:43 AM
I think that delaying until the end of the month is quite wise. & I'm pro-vax!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TerriC
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:35 AM

I don't think the Dr. would have a problem with that.  It is a legitimate concern, so hopefully the Dr. will see your point and concern.

jamamama00
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Just so you know, your insurance will likely only cover one check-up. If you do your one year well visit today, you will either need to get the shots today, or pay for them yourself later. I wanted to wait once because my child was coming down sick, and BCBS was going to make me pay $800 out of pocket later for the shots if I didn't get them at the marked well visit. So we had to classify that visit as a "sick one" and come back later if we wanted to wait. We just went ahead with shots...it was no big deal. They give vax to sick kids all the time. Anyway, if you want to wait you prob need to call your doc and make sure there wont be any issues...

Codysmom2106
by Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Quoting jamamama00:

Just so you know, your insurance will likely only cover one check-up. If you do your one year well visit today, you will either need to get the shots today, or pay for them yourself later. I wanted to wait once because my child was coming down sick, and BCBS was going to make me pay $800 out of pocket later for the shots if I didn't get them at the marked well visit. So we had to classify that visit as a "sick one" and come back later if we wanted to wait. We just went ahead with shots...it was no big deal. They give vax to sick kids all the time. Anyway, if you want to wait you prob need to call your doc and make sure there wont be any issues...

Thanks for the heads up. Good to know. 

ToriBabe1221
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:02 AM
It's smart to wait, especially if she already doesn't react well.
Vaxxing while she is sick could cause a worse reaction. IMO, no dollar amount is worth my Childs life.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Codysmom2106
by Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:17 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting ToriBabe1221:

It's smart to wait, especially if she already doesn't react well.
Vaxxing while she is sick could cause a worse reaction. IMO, no dollar amount is worth my Childs life.

Oh we are definitely waiting. I don't care how much I have to pay later on. She's not getting shots today. 

karamille
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:42 AM

I think it would make sense to wait.  Simply to know if she gets sick is it a) a reaction to the antibiotic b) an allergic reaction to something in the vac or c) she's picked up another illness.  

I do have to pay another copayment if we divide vaccines, but I don't pay the whole cost of the vaccines.  

TonyaLea
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:50 AM

Quoting jamamama00:

I second this.  However, if they are like my doctor's office, when you come in to get the vaccinations you just have to call ahead the same day and one of the nurses will do it, you don't have to schedule a whole visit.  My insurance pays for vaccinations and well visits, it doens't matter if they are done at the same time.

TonyaLea
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:52 AM

I agree with your thinking and I don't think your doctor would mind delaying the vaccines.  I have done it myself a couple times, and for no other reason than I wanted to delay them.  Like stated above, it is a legitimate reason, they delay vaxes for sick kids all the time.  Also, it seems logical that if you are trying to build an immunity to something, you wouldn't do it while on antibiotics, but I am no doctor.

wife-4-life
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:54 AM
I don't know about other peds but our ped doesn't allow vacs while a child is sick, whether a cold or something else. We'd have to wait til they were better. The main reason is because how would you be able to tell if they were having a reaction to the vac and not just added sickness symptoms. I think it's a good idea. I'd never want to put my kiddos thru vacs while already feeling cruddy.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)