Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

Aquired Megacolon. Does you child this and what treatments have you used? Were they helpful?

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 10:58 PM
  • 18 Replies

My 8yr old son (HFA /APD/ ADHD) has had chonic constipation sense early infancy and was diagnosed a year ago with aquired megacolon. His GI prescribed Mirilax and Ex-lax and has seen him though 3 intense clean outs. It seems that nothing we have tried is working. He gets horribly sick from the meds and complains of belly pains daily. His BMs are so large they have to be broken in order to be flushed. Often his BMs are covered in whitish yellowish mucus. I know this may seem gross and a little to detailed, but I am worried and need advice.

by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 10:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
auntangelofsix
by Angel on Feb. 9, 2013 at 11:08 PM
Sounds like my 10 year old son sometimes.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
PrincessZ20
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 11:14 PM

I'd try a different GI - sounds like something is going on!  Poor boy, I hope he gets so relief soon! 

asdspdmom
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 11:19 PM

I keep saying I'd like him to be tested for food allergies and celiacs ,but the doctor just looks at me like I'm stupid

ZakkarysMom
by Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 11:45 PM
That isnt normal at all. Please find another dr.

Quoting asdspdmom:

I keep saying I'd like him to be tested for food allergies and celiacs ,but the doctor just looks at me like I'm stupid

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
asdspdmom
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 11:57 PM

I'm going to ask to see another doctor... I really wish I knew whats going on

TigerofMu
by Sonja on Feb. 10, 2013 at 8:16 AM

I would have him tested for food allergies or sensitivities and any other digestive disorder you can think of.  Does this happen with everything he eats?  You could keep a food journal, and also try cutting out one thing at a time to see if it makes any difference...

MusherMaggie
by Bronze Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 8:46 AM
1 mom liked this
I would start by eliminating wheat, dairy and soy from his diet if you haven't already. It is in many prepared foods--you really have to read labels closely. Focus on meats and vegetables, working around his other conditions as best as you can. Lots of fluid, too. There should be a celiac foundation online which will have information about doctors, diets, testing, etc.
new_mom808
by Andrea on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:57 AM

I agree with Sonja and MusherMaggie.
I would begin elimnating soy, wheat and dairy, while looking for a new GI.

It sounds like he may have some pancreatic problems and is not processing fats well.

karamille
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Yeah, find another dr.  If his stools are still that big, his stool is STILL not soft enough to allow his colon to heal.  I agree on all parts on the food sensitivities, but you are going to have to get him all the way to complete mush poop and keep it there for months - if not a year - to get his colon to shrink and heal.  Until his has total mush poop/diarrhea for 6-12 months this isn't going to get better.  His colon is soo stretched it can't correct itself at this point.  

asdspdmom
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 9:48 PM

some people are saying it may be yeast overgrowth

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)