Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

I need sleep!

Posted by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 9:45 AM
  • 8 Replies

Alex (6) has always been a morning person.  His normal wake up time is anywhere between 5:30 and 6:30.  On school mornings, he's good about getting up, going to the bathroom, and then playing in his room with his door closed until I get up at 7.  Weekends, however, are another story.  He gets up and goes to the bathroom and then every half hour is in our room with something.  "Can I watch Netflix?"  "I'm hungry"  "There's a funny noise outside my window" "I think Carter has a bedbug bite"  "Do I have school today?"  "I really want to watch Netflix now." "Do you know where my Batman shirt is?"  "Is today Valentine's Day?" 

The rule is no TV before 7:30 - I know I can't stop him waking up that early, but I know that if he were allowed to start Netflix as soon as he got up, he'd wake earlier and earlier until he was up at 3 just so he could watch tv.  He has an alarm clock that goes off at 7:30 so he knows at which point he's allowed to watch Netflix, but is in our room asking multiple times before then regardless (this morning he was told if he asked one more time before his alarm went off, he'd be cut off, and he asked THREE more times, then of course had a meltdown when I told him no Netflix at all today).  He's capable of fixing himself something to eat (even if it's just grabbing an apple or some yogurt).  So there is no reason that he NEEDS to come in and talk to us right then and there. 

Any ideas or suggestions to help us get some much needed sleep?

by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 9:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
new_mom808
by Andrea on Feb. 10, 2013 at 11:09 AM
1 mom liked this

What if you gave him a list of things to do when he wakes up? Like getting his chores done first thing. Eat breakfast, clean his room, make his bed etc.

And I would be consistant about no Netflix at all if he comes in before 7:00.

Do you think he sees these early mornings as his chance at alone time with you before his brother wakes up?

PrincessZ20
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:48 AM

Quoting new_mom808:

What if you gave him a list of things to do when he wakes up? Like getting his chores done first thing. Eat breakfast, clean his room, make his bed etc.

And I would be consistant about no Netflix at all if he comes in before 7:00.

Do you think he sees these early mornings as his chance at alone time with you before his brother wakes up?

On the weekends, there's not really anything for him to get done!  He cleans his room before bed, and there's no need for him to get dressed. 

I think we'll need to buckle down on the no Netflix if he gets up before the alarm - that may be the only thing to actually get through to him, lol.

I don't think he sees it as alone time, but he only gets to watch Netflix until we get up, so I think he just wants to start on that as soon as he can!  So I think we'll just start setting that expectation before bed and hopefully that helps.  Thanks for the suggestion! 

Threes.Company
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 2:39 PM
We battle this too.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sunshine86912
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 8:19 AM

ugh what is with kids?! LOL  mine have a hard time getting up for school..but on the weekends are up SO early! drives me crazy

PrincessZ20
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 2:03 PM

Quoting sunshine86912:

ugh what is with kids?! LOL  mine have a hard time getting up for school..but on the weekends are up SO early! drives me crazy

At least mine are consistent, lol.  They're up at the crack of dawn every morning! 

dusky_rose
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 6:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Duct tape? LOL J/K I have a 5 year old so I feel your pain.

PrincessZ20
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 8:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting dusky_rose:

Duct tape? LOL J/K I have a 5 year old so I feel your pain.

Haha, it's defintiely been tempting some days :)

TerriC
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 9:46 PM
I agree with you, NO netflix if he comes in too early. Sounds like he is basing his day on it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN