Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

Please help - diarrhea!

Posted by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:15 PM
  • 16 Replies
My poor little man (5yo) woke up at 2am with diarrhea and was basically up most of the night either running for the bathroom or pooping his pants.

It's been coming and going this morning. He'll be fine for an hour and then spend most of the next hour on the toilet. His little bottom hurts, but otherwise he feels fine... No fever, no belly ache, eating normally, etc.

Is there anything we can do for him besides keeping him clean and hydrated?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TigerofMu
by Sonja on Feb. 10, 2013 at 1:52 PM

What did he eat yesterday?  I'd definitely keep a record so if anything like this happens again you might be able to track it down.  I've heard a few different home remedies, I don't know if you want to try any, but peanut butter, or apple cider vinegar...and the raw apple cider vinegar has worked with my kiddos. 

Other than that, bananas, the brat diet, to try to get it under control, and push fluids, so that if his poor little body can keep anything he won't get dehydrated.

karamille
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 3:39 PM

Keep his booty coated with something to protect it.  Vasoline, coconut oil, aquafor, neosporin - something to help heal it  - and at least keep it from getting any raw.  

new_mom808
by Andrea on Feb. 10, 2013 at 6:58 PM

Have you tried the BRAT diet?
Bananas, Rice, Applesauce and Toast (a low fiber bread)

SarahSuzyQ
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 7:36 PM
1 mom liked this
He didn't eat anything out of the ordinary, and he has never shown any real food sensitivity in the past. :-\ I'm hoping it's just a little virus, but I'll be paying attention if it happens again as far as diet, etc.

Quoting TigerofMu:

What did he eat yesterday?  I'd definitely keep a record so if anything like this happens again you might be able to track it down.  I've heard a few different home remedies, I don't know if you want to try any, but peanut butter, or apple cider vinegar...and the raw apple cider vinegar has worked with my kiddos. 

Other than that, bananas, the brat diet, to try to get it under control, and push fluids, so that if his poor little body can keep anything he won't get dehydrated.

PrincessZ20
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 12:03 PM

Yep, BRAT diet, and keep him hydrated. 

I've found that when I get diarrhea, using a wet wipe or a warm wet washcloth instead of toilet paper helps with the soreness. 

I hope he feels better soon!

jessicasmom1
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 12:26 PM

Brat diet, clear jello water 

jessicasmom1
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 12:27 PM

hope he is feeling better

Threes.Company
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 2:36 PM
BRAT diet and fluids. Good luck, mama!
egyptian_mommy
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:19 PM
How's he doing?
SarahSuzyQ
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:32 PM
Thanks guys, he's been fine today except a little gassy. Guess it was just a passing bug? I really appreciate the advice and support!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)