Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids in the front seat question.

Posted by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 9:02 PM
  • 33 Replies

Ok... here's are deal.  For school drop off in the morning, my husband pulls into a parking spot rather than using to drop off lane.  He has a 2 door car with heavy doors so its easier to pull into a parking space, and let Max have the time to get out of the car.  Well the powers that be have decided they do not want parents pulling into parking spots and kids walking across the drop off lane so they are blocking off the parking and want all kids to get out of their parents car in the fast moving drop off lane.  This is just not possible with him trying to crawl from the back seat, move the seat foward, and quickly hop out without tripping over the seat belt attachment to the floor,  His car has the ability to turn off the passenger airbag.  It is legal to allow a 6 yr old in a booster to sit in the front seat with airbags off?  It would make the new drop off rules much easier.  

by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 9:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Bronze Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 9:12 PM

Not in my state it isnt.   I would just park by the school and walk child to where they want him to go in the morning.

karamille
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 9:22 PM

There's no on street parking anywhere nearby.  =/   There are a lot of parents who are currently parking - especially parents the younger kids.  We start this new way tomorrow.  I am hoping they will rethink this soon.  Its not an issue with my van, but with our schedules I only take Max 2 days a week.  The rest of the week I am running our younger one plus a little girl we babysit in the morning in the opposite direction.  

TerriC
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 7:43 AM

Can he undo his own seat belt?  Maybe when he is getting close, have him undo it and climb up front??

new_mom808
by Andrea on Feb. 11, 2013 at 8:12 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting karamille:

There's no on street parking anywhere nearby.  =/   There are a lot of parents who are currently parking - especially parents the younger kids.  We start this new way tomorrow.  I am hoping they will rethink this soon.  Its not an issue with my van, but with our schedules I only take Max 2 days a week.  The rest of the week I am running our younger one plus a little girl we babysit in the morning in the opposite direction.  

To my knowledge there is no "front seat" law in my state. They have to remain boostered until they are 8 or 4'9". As long as the booster is okay in the front, I dont think it will be a problem.
But if it were me, I would just let him take his sweet time, and even get out to open the door for him. A few days of traffic jams, and maybe the school will re-consider.

Jadegirl1819
by Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 8:16 AM

Look up your state laws.  If they don't have someone there to open the door for him then your husband can get out of the car and help him out.

Honestly, I wish our school wouldn't allow parents to pull in the spot and let the kids out.  It really is dangerous.  Well, it's fine having the kids use the crosswalk through the drop off lane.  It's more about the parents driving.  They go the wrong way down the parking lot "streets" or cut off the drop off lane.  Our school parking lot scares me more than a mall parking lot on Christmas Eve.  It's ridiculous.

karamille
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:00 AM

Quoting Jadegirl1819:

Look up your state laws.  If they don't have someone there to open the door for him then your husband can get out of the car and help him out.

Honestly, I wish our school wouldn't allow parents to pull in the spot and let the kids out.  It really is dangerous.  Well, it's fine having the kids use the crosswalk through the drop off lane.  It's more about the parents driving.  They go the wrong way down the parking lot "streets" or cut off the drop off lane.  Our school parking lot scares me more than a mall parking lot on Christmas Eve.  It's ridiculous.

Much to my annoyance the lanes were running really smooth this morning.  The created two one way lanes in the enterance drive - one for cars turning in from the south and one for cars turning in from the north.  Northbound pulls up as always in front of the gym entrance, but the southbound goes thru the parking area and releases kids there who cross over to the gym doors at a monitored cross walk.  But... they had cones in front of every parking space to prevent cars from parking in the lot that was to be used as the second drop off lane.  We always walked Max across to the doors - like many of the other kindy parents did.  

karamille
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:05 AM

I couldn't find any info saying speficially about kids in the front seat for our state from the state's website.  I did find a 3rd party site that listed  rules for all states and said there were no restictions on front seats - just booster seat rules

Quoting new_mom808:

Quoting karamille:

To my knowledge there is no "front seat" law in my state. They have to remain boostered until they are 8 or 4'9". As long as the booster is okay in the front, I dont think it will be a problem.
But if it were me, I would just let him take his sweet time, and even get out to open the door for him. A few days of traffic jams, and maybe the school will re-consider.

Karen2313
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 12:09 PM

It's not legal in Colorado that I know of. I see parents all the time getting out of their car and letting their children out. No one gets upset about it.

Karenlefty
jessicasmom1
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 12:33 PM

it is not permitted here 

timon95
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 1:18 PM

here you have to be 12 to sit upfront. just have your husband get out and help him or while waiting in line, like when he is third in line, have him hop to the front seat

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)