Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

Kids in the front seat question.

Posted by   + Show Post

Ok... here's are deal.  For school drop off in the morning, my husband pulls into a parking spot rather than using to drop off lane.  He has a 2 door car with heavy doors so its easier to pull into a parking space, and let Max have the time to get out of the car.  Well the powers that be have decided they do not want parents pulling into parking spots and kids walking across the drop off lane so they are blocking off the parking and want all kids to get out of their parents car in the fast moving drop off lane.  This is just not possible with him trying to crawl from the back seat, move the seat foward, and quickly hop out without tripping over the seat belt attachment to the floor,  His car has the ability to turn off the passenger airbag.  It is legal to allow a 6 yr old in a booster to sit in the front seat with airbags off?  It would make the new drop off rules much easier.  

by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 9:02 PM
Replies (31-33):
gcstar42
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 7:10 PM

I have never seen a law about a kid not being able to sit in the front seat. It is just generally known that the back seat is safest. If it were me, I would pull up in the drop off lane and get out of the car and let my kid out the same way I did in the parking lot. I will not compromise my childs safety for their convenience. If they do not like it then they can open up the parking lot to parents again. I had a similar issue at my sons school when picking him up last year. I generally try to park on the left hand side of the street when picking him up and just get out and walk him across the street and buckle him in correctly myself. But occasionally there is nowhere to park on the left side so I have to get in the right side fast lane. When I have to do that I still get out and buckle my son in because he never does it properly and the seat belt is always twisted and stuff like that. I had one teacher get mad at me and say that parents were not allowed to get out of their car when they were on that side. I told her if she wanted to leave her class early every single day and save me a parking space on the other side that I would be more than happy to comply with her request, but that I would not be compromising my childs safety just so that the line could move faster. I told her that unlike man y of the parents picking up their kids that I will not let my son ride in the car until he is buckled into his booster seat 100% correctly.

Wish2Be
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 7:33 PM

I dont believe its legal in my state either. Sounds like a scary situation.

Kmakksmom
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 1:58 PM
Here you have to be 12 to sit up front.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)