Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health
A treat food wise for you kids? Something they only get if they ate well and had a good day kind of thing
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 8:43 PM
Replies (51-53):
mhmomma
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 4:18 PM

It is a tough diet.  Sadly he has to take a few supplements to make up for the food intake.  we are always dealing with food and gas LOL  We have learned hat he can eat without him suffering.  If he eats too much and has an episode he eats Tums to help with the gas.  Sad when a 7 year old can not enjoy birthday parties or holiday parties.  I do bake a lot of my own stuff and we try to do Trader Joes for his treats.  Like he loves Oreos....well loaded with HFCS and sugar.  The TJ ones are better for him.  We have cut just about 99.9% of HFCS out of his diet.  Sadly when going out to eat I can not control it.  Most rolls and bread has it.  We only buy certain ice creams....but there is still milk....carbs and sugar.

Quoting new_mom808:

Wow, that would be really difficult to manage.

The HFCS can totally be avoided. We do it, as a choice. It does require making things at home, but usually using agave nectar or honey as a sweetner. I assume he wouldnt be able to process those either?
The fruits and vegetables would be really difficult for us. What does his regular diet look like?

Quoting mhmomma:

My son has what's called carbohydrate malabsorption. He can not absorb gases made from food. So he eats low carbs and sugar and we avoid high fructose corn syrup as much as possible. That ones hard seeing its in everything. He eats minimal fruits and veggies due to all the sugar and carbs in them.

Quoting new_mom808:

What kinds of food issues?

Quoting mhmomma:

Hehe I end up baking with the Halloween candy. The kids get very limited amounts of candy.

Those are great snack ideas. Sadly my kids wouldn't eat them. Ds had lots of food issues sad face

Quoting new_mom808:

DS's favorite is ice cream. OMH that kid is obsessed with mint chocolate chip ice cream.
He's also a big fan of home made chocolate chip cookies.
Lately he gets excited if he gets to pick out a piece of candy from his Halloween bag. (Yes, we're still eating halloween candy....and a little Christmas stocking candy. LOL)

We also try to do "just because" treats, smoothies, and fun snacks, like

cheese quesadilla with faces cut out of it, or
honey, & peanut butter spread on a tortilla wrapped around a banana,
a banana dipped in yogurt and granola and frozen,
blueberries dipped in yogurt and frozen

gabeybaby07
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 4:24 PM

what ever ds wants. some times its candy some times its a slim jim. Others its a hot coco or a fruit snack. Lately hes been chowing down corn dogs like there is no tomorrow. gone through 2 boxes since monday

sunshine86912
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 6:06 AM

right now..its girl scout cookies if we are talking actual treat...but I also use fruit for treats..or fruit smoothies :)  but when we literaly want JUNK..its cookies..ice cream...a couple pieces of candy haha NOT all at one time though..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)