Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

Food Allergies

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 3:00 AM
  • 53 Replies

I saw this in another group..and it kinda blew my mind away.  If a child in your child's classroom has food allergies..and you are asked to NOT bring in items that contain X, Y, Z..would you bring them anyway?

by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 3:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sunshine86912
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 3:02 AM

I know I for one, would NOT.  While my child shouldnt "suffer" because someone in her class has an allergy to something...shes not missing out..she can have whatever she wants at HOME where there are no allergies.  I just cant believe some of the replies to that post!  About how its not fair to the other kids, and the parents of the child with allergies should supply her child's food, etc.

frndlyfn
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 3:03 AM

Nope.   The only hard one that i am not sure to avoid is apple allergies since many sweeteners that are labeled "natural" in processed foods is apple juice or apple in some form.   I would probably send in a melon tray then.

sunshine86912
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 3:03 AM

and what blows me away even more..is that one of the allergens is peanuts/nuts..so they asked for nut free items..parents are spazzing saying everything contains nuts..well nuts is a common allergy now..so get used to finding nut free!

Fields456
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 3:05 AM
Nope
I would not. A child in my dds class is allergic to pears we all bring a snack for the class every 21 days I do not buy or send anything with pears in it and I would do the same for other food allergies if any kid had them

And so far I don't think there have been any issues or I'm sure they would send a note home
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sunshine86912
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 3:18 AM

yeah, it just DOESNT seem that complicated to me..sure it means maybe you cant buy stuff from the store (other than fresh REAL food lol) but it can be done!

Quoting frndlyfn:

Nope.   The only hard one that i am not sure to avoid is apple allergies since many sweeteners that are labeled "natural" in processed foods is apple juice or apple in some form.   I would probably send in a melon tray then.

sunshine86912
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 3:20 AM

see..not that complicated

Quoting Fields456:

Nope
I would not. A child in my dds class is allergic to pears we all bring a snack for the class every 21 days I do not buy or send anything with pears in it and I would do the same for other food allergies if any kid had them

And so far I don't think there have been any issues or I'm sure they would send a note home

frndlyfn
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 3:22 AM

I dont know what the children do in dd's class that have allergies but i do let the teacher know ahead of time that dd would be bringing cupcakes for her birthday to celebrate with the class.  We do a basic white cupcake with a whipped topping icing/frosting.  Since dd does not eat nut based foods to start with those are easy for us to avoid.

Quoting sunshine86912:

yeah, it just DOESNT seem that complicated to me..sure it means maybe you cant buy stuff from the store (other than fresh REAL food lol) but it can be done!

Quoting frndlyfn:

sunshine86912
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 3:38 AM

my child's school (one of them) still lets us bring in homemade stuff, so I made her cupcakes for school.  There are no allergies in her classroom..but this way I know it doesnt come in contact with anything

Quoting frndlyfn:

I dont know what the children do in dd's class that have allergies but i do let the teacher know ahead of time that dd would be bringing cupcakes for her birthday to celebrate with the class.  We do a basic white cupcake with a whipped topping icing/frosting.  Since dd does not eat nut based foods to start with those are easy for us to avoid.

Quoting sunshine86912:

Quoting frndlyfn:

alf2651
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 4:08 AM

No, I would not.

CafeMom Tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

DieselsMom
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 4:13 AM

that list was extensive, no choc, strawberry, nuts....really it was hard for them NOT to send in something from the list...I would do my best to not send something the kid couldn't have, but if I did, I would label that it had the allergen in it!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN