Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

Cold sores

Posted by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 8:12 AM
  • 29 Replies

hate them!  anyone have anything you can do to make them heal up quicker OTHER than abrevia or meds?  Clinic wont give me valtrex or anything without an appt..dont have time for an appt cuz I work every day they are open! LOL.  and they dont have appts for the time after I get off work.  and there was no abrevia in the comm. PX or anywhere..and as far as I know they dont have it on the economy in the german stores...so what else can I do?  I have been carmexing it to death. 

I got this one from lack of sleep/stress or something...and I have NEVER gotten them from anything other than sunburned lips lol..that always makes them come out..so I am so lost right now haha

by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 8:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TigerofMu
by Sonja on Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:35 AM

I picked up the Abrevia patches last time we went to the store but haven't had a chance to try them yet so I'm not sure how they work anyway.  Do they have Herpacin?  I have never found anything better, even teh 80$ prescription cream didn't work as well.  Especially if you can catch them in the beginning, before they pop.  You know how sometimes you can feel them coming?  If I get the herpacin on right away, sometimes they don't even erupt! 

TigerofMu
by Sonja on Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:38 AM

I know you mentioned that you can't get Abreva, but here's an article I found comparing them...

http://voices.yahoo.com/the-best-cold-sore-treatment-herpecin-l-versus-abreva-339062.html

TigerofMu
by Sonja on Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:38 AM

Here's what to look for:

new_mom808
by Andrea on Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:48 AM

I'm sure you'll be shocked to hear me say this but TTO works WONDERS on cold sores. 

dusky_rose
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 6:28 PM

I'm just getting over a cold sore, but I used abreva. I was reading that Blistex is good for cold sores as well. That is what I used before this time.

dusky_rose
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 6:30 PM

I was reading about those Abrevia patches online and from what I read, they are non-medicated, and more like a cover-up so that you can put on makeup over the sore.

Quoting TigerofMu:

I picked up the Abrevia patches last time we went to the store but haven't had a chance to try them yet so I'm not sure how they work anyway.  Do they have Herpacin?  I have never found anything better, even teh 80$ prescription cream didn't work as well.  Especially if you can catch them in the beginning, before they pop.  You know how sometimes you can feel them coming?  If I get the herpacin on right away, sometimes they don't even erupt! 

JATomlinson
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 7:08 PM

I've got it down to a system:

1) Stay away from food like chocolate and other food with arganine. Arganine brings cold sores out.  If you must eat chocolate or foods high in arganine, eat them in moderation.

2) When you feel the tingling that might be a cold sore coming in, take some Zinc (very cheap over the counter suppliment) and also some vitamin C.  You can take a multivitamin but it won't have as much Zinc and Vitamin C as the individual suppliment pills will.

3) When you feel the tingle take some L Lysine (also an over the counter suppliment).  L Lysine depletes/counteracts the Arganine that cold sores feed on and use to grow.  It's awesome.  You should continue to take L Lysine, C, and Zinc as noted on their bottles until your cold sore is gone.

4) When you first feel the tingle of the cold sore, take a cue tip and dip it into Tea Tree Oil (over the counter, find it with the other suppliments I mentioned.  It's about $6 a bottle but will last forever).  Dip the cue tip into the tea tree oil and rub it on the tingling spot/cold sore.  Do not touch the cold sore with the cue tip and then use on other parts of your lips that aren't affected, use a new cue tip.  You can put Tea Tree oil on the cold sore 3-4 times a day, but especially when you feel it first breaking out.  Tea Tree Oil is a natural anti-fungal/anti-bacterial, and will fight the cold sore virus and will also dry it out.  You do NOT want the cold sore to be moist.  The sooner it drys out, the sooner it will crack and drain.  NOTE: Tea Tree oil smells bad and tastses worse.  Try not to get it into your mouth.

5) After the cold sore has dried out and drained (if you do it all right, this can be in as little as 24 hours) then you can begin putting tiny dabs of neo-sporin on the cold sore to heal the scab.  If you are impatient, then you can pop the cold sore but you must be careful as you risk scarring and spreading the drainage to other parts of your lips, face, and body.  On the few occaasions where I have popped mine I take a shower which softens it up, then I get out and use a wet hot wash cloth holding it over the cold sore for a few minutes.  Then I hold the wash cloth under the cold sore and use something sterile and sharp to make a tiny hole in it, then use the wet wash cloth to squeeze out the clear drainage.  Be sure not to get the drainage on your hands or any other part of your body. Wash well after doing this, and treat with tea tree oil immediately after.

Typically when I get them (about once a year) I can get it all taken care of and completely gone in 3 days, including scab heal time.

Also note that if you've been using chapstick of some sort, you should throw it away as soon as you feel that initial tingling that announces the arrival of a cold sore.  If you keep using the chapstick you're likely to spread it to the rest of your lip.  Also be careful to wash your hands a lot when you touch your face, and change your pillowcase every day when you have one, so you don't spread it to other parts of your body.  Cold sores can spread to any place where there's an opening in your body, and if you get it in your eyes, you will become permanently blind.

All cold sore medicines I have tried have only made the cold sore bigger faster and have made it moist.  The method I'm describing to you above will fight the cold sore virus and Arganine on several levels as well as help it to heal faster.  The key is really getting to it when you first feel that tingle.  Any time I feel my lip tingle in that one spot where I get cold sores, I go and take L Lysine and use Tea Tree oil.  I haven't had a cold sore in two years now.

kellynh
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 7:41 PM

Camphophenic... Spelling may be off... Drug store, Walmart ect

ardiaxe
by Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 7:47 PM

I used to get them all the time.  The trick is to dry them out, so alcohol on the cold sore helps with that. Lather on the Abreva and wait it out, they suck.  

new_mom808
by Andrea on Feb. 15, 2013 at 8:08 PM

This is great information; thanks for sharing. I had no idea about the zinc and C. The TTO, I use and agree that it works.
I didnt know about the chocolate. I always thought stress brought mine on, but maybe I should I watch what I eat when I'm stressed.

Quoting JATomlinson:

I've got it down to a system:

1) Stay away from food like chocolate and other food with arganine. Arganine brings cold sores out.  If you must eat chocolate or foods high in arganine, eat them in moderation.

2) When you feel the tingling that might be a cold sore coming in, take some Zinc (very cheap over the counter suppliment) and also some vitamin C.  You can take a multivitamin but it won't have as much Zinc and Vitamin C as the individual suppliment pills will.

3) When you feel the tingle take some L Lysine (also an over the counter suppliment).  L Lysine depletes/counteracts the Arganine that cold sores feed on and use to grow.  It's awesome.  You should continue to take L Lysine, C, and Zinc as noted on their bottles until your cold sore is gone.

4) When you first feel the tingle of the cold sore, take a cue tip and dip it into Tea Tree Oil (over the counter, find it with the other suppliments I mentioned.  It's about $6 a bottle but will last forever).  Dip the cue tip into the tea tree oil and rub it on the tingling spot/cold sore.  Do not touch the cold sore with the cue tip and then use on other parts of your lips that aren't affected, use a new cue tip.  You can put Tea Tree oil on the cold sore 3-4 times a day, but especially when you feel it first breaking out.  Tea Tree Oil is a natural anti-fungal/anti-bacterial, and will fight the cold sore virus and will also dry it out.  You do NOT want the cold sore to be moist.  The sooner it drys out, the sooner it will crack and drain.  NOTE: Tea Tree oil smells bad and tastses worse.  Try not to get it into your mouth.

5) After the cold sore has dried out and drained (if you do it all right, this can be in as little as 24 hours) then you can begin putting tiny dabs of neo-sporin on the cold sore to heal the scab.  If you are impatient, then you can pop the cold sore but you must be careful as you risk scarring and spreading the drainage to other parts of your lips, face, and body.  On the few occaasions where I have popped mine I take a shower which softens it up, then I get out and use a wet hot wash cloth holding it over the cold sore for a few minutes.  Then I hold the wash cloth under the cold sore and use something sterile and sharp to make a tiny hole in it, then use the wet wash cloth to squeeze out the clear drainage.  Be sure not to get the drainage on your hands or any other part of your body. Wash well after doing this, and treat with tea tree oil immediately after.

Typically when I get them (about once a year) I can get it all taken care of and completely gone in 3 days, including scab heal time.

Also note that if you've been using chapstick of some sort, you should throw it away as soon as you feel that initial tingling that announces the arrival of a cold sore.  If you keep using the chapstick you're likely to spread it to the rest of your lip.  Also be careful to wash your hands a lot when you touch your face, and change your pillowcase every day when you have one, so you don't spread it to other parts of your body.  Cold sores can spread to any place where there's an opening in your body, and if you get it in your eyes, you will become permanently blind.

All cold sore medicines I have tried have only made the cold sore bigger faster and have made it moist.  The method I'm describing to you above will fight the cold sore virus and Arganine on several levels as well as help it to heal faster.  The key is really getting to it when you first feel that tingle.  Any time I feel my lip tingle in that one spot where I get cold sores, I go and take L Lysine and use Tea Tree oil.  I haven't had a cold sore in two years now.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)