Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

Milk

Posted by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:47 AM
  • 51 Replies
Good Sunday Moms. For a 2 year-old what is the best choice for milk? 1%, 2%, whole milk or soy? Thanks in advance.
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TigerofMu
by Sonja on Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:55 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't know if they still need the fat from whole milk at that point.  Hopefully someone else will have more information!

Xandriasmommy
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 12:03 PM
1 mom liked this
At 2 my dd still got full fat but it was because she was FTT. At 2 I would just go to whatever you or normally drink unless there are other concerns.

However I would avoid soy milk for young children
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
new_mom808
by Andrea on Feb. 17, 2013 at 12:20 PM

I think it depends on the kid. For us limited milk is the best option. When he does have it whole milk is the easiest for him to process. The fat is good for him and he's so active that we dont worry about calories.

MichelleK41
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 3:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Normally when they are under 5 they like for them to drop no lower than 2%. It depends on their iron and weight typically and if they have allergies. They say its due to making sure their little bones get plenty of calcium. Not sure if anyone knows this but no matter how much fat you cut back in milk, the sugar does not reduce down.

PrincessZ20
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 6:04 PM

I think children are typically drinking 2% at 2, but individual cases may vary based on the child! 

frndlyfn
by Bronze Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 6:16 PM
1 mom liked this

I personally would do 2 percent or whole unless they have dairy allergies then i would do almond or hemp.  I stay away from soy milk at all costs possible due to the naturally occuring estrogen in it.

ardiaxe
by Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 3:54 PM

My 2 year old only drinks water.  There are other milks such as almond and coconut.  I prefer coconut milk for my kids if I had to choose a milk.  

KristinRox
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 4:07 PM
1 mom liked this

I use 1% for my 3 year old. I think a lot of moms choose whole milk and 2% though. 

KristinRox
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 4:07 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with staying away from soy milk at all costs because of the estrogen. 

Quoting frndlyfn:

I personally would do 2 percent or whole unless they have dairy allergies then i would do almond or hemp.  I stay away from soy milk at all costs possible due to the naturally occuring estrogen in it.

JOIN US ON:

egyptian_mommy
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 5:45 PM
It depends on the family/kid really. My 2 year old gets 2% because that's just what we drink and she never cared for whole milk when we tried to give it to her.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)