Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

Emergency Preparedness

Posted by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 5:50 PM
  • 45 Replies

One of the blogs that I subscribe to recently did a series on being prepared and organized for emergencies, and it got me to thinking.  Now I am not prepared to star on Doomsday Preppers by any means, but my family does live in the country, and we do stock up on certain things to get us through the winter when it is difficult or unpleasant to drive into town to pick up some little nothing we forgot. 

Does your family have any emergency plans or preparations?  Or even just supplies in case of a bad storm or power outage? 

For those of you who have been through recent storms or even something more extreme, did your family prepare ahead of time?  Could you?  How did you spend your time during the storm?

by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 5:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PrincessZ20
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 6:03 PM
1 mom liked this

We haven't really done anything formal, as far as being prepared.  We have a pretty decent stock of canned goods...enough to get us through a week or so of relatively boring food, lol. 

We're far enough inland that hurricanes aren't much of an issue here, though - we were a bit more vigilant when we lived in Charleston and it was a bigger risk of being hit. 

TigerofMu
by Sonja on Feb. 17, 2013 at 6:18 PM

Even the boring stuff can be made delicious with spices :). 

Quoting PrincessZ20:

We haven't really done anything formal, as far as being prepared.  We have a pretty decent stock of canned goods...enough to get us through a week or so of relatively boring food, lol. 

We're far enough inland that hurricanes aren't much of an issue here, though - we were a bit more vigilant when we lived in Charleston and it was a bigger risk of being hit. 

Xandriasmommy
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 7:03 PM
1 mom liked this
We use to have a year supply of food, but with being busy and short on money that has dwindled down. Our first aid is great, down to leg, wrist and foot braces.

Since being pregnant I've been paranoid about it. Definitely going to work on our food storage again.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
timon95
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 10:38 PM
1 mom liked this

we are slightly prepared- we don't have jars of peanut butter lining the shelves. when we know a storm is coming we stock up on the basics.  we make sure we have water, bread and other quick meals. we have a generator that is hard wired to parts of the house. we just stay in certain rooms. before we had it hard wired we would rush to get baths in before the storm wouod come, do laundry and fill the tubs with water and the freezer with ice packs. weather wise we have been through a lot in past few yrs - tornado,hurrican,nor'easter, hurricane, nemo, and other smalls storms in between. we have a system down pretty good now.

Jadegirl1819
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 8:19 AM
1 mom liked this

I have a few long term storage items.  And bin of 1st aid items. 

I have a friend who has thousands of dollars of longterm food storage.  I think she has enough to feed her family of 5 for a year.

cara124
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:11 AM
1 mom liked this

we have relatively mild winters so winter storms are that much of an issue for me on the west coast... but we do have an emergency "closet" that is filled with things like canned food/flashlights/radio/first aid kit and a few other things I can't think of right now ( I used a list i got some where to help make the "closet" )

TigerofMu
by Sonja on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:26 AM

I like the closet idea! 

Quoting cara124:

we have relatively mild winters so winter storms are that much of an issue for me on the west coast... but we do have an emergency "closet" that is filled with things like canned food/flashlights/radio/first aid kit and a few other things I can't think of right now ( I used a list i got some where to help make the "closet" )

TigerofMu
by Sonja on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:48 AM

That's amazing!  I know I am short on first aid items...it seems like they always disappear, no matter where I stash them!

Quoting Jadegirl1819:

I have a few long term storage items.  And bin of 1st aid items. 

I have a friend who has thousands of dollars of longterm food storage.  I think she has enough to feed her family of 5 for a year.

TigerofMu
by Sonja on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:53 AM

We always have jars of peanut butter on the shelves ;).  I had Hannah check the shed yesterday when she went out to get a jar and she said we were down to 6, so I put it on the list (that will become one very quickly at our house).

I love the generator!  That is a fabulous idea!  You sound like you are pretty well prepared and you have a system that works for your family!

Quoting timon95:

we are slightly prepared- we don't have jars of peanut butter lining the shelves. when we know a storm is coming we stock up on the basics.  we make sure we have water, bread and other quick meals. we have a generator that is hard wired to parts of the house. we just stay in certain rooms. before we had it hard wired we would rush to get baths in before the storm wouod come, do laundry and fill the tubs with water and the freezer with ice packs. weather wise we have been through a lot in past few yrs - tornado,hurrican,nor'easter, hurricane, nemo, and other smalls storms in between. we have a system down pretty good now.

sukainah
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:54 AM

I don't have anything prepared for an emergency.  I stock up on groceries before a storm though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN