Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

when to call doctor or visit ER after child has been seen previously and currently on meds?

Posted by   + Show Post

my 16 month old is being treated for an ear infection. she was originally brought to the ER for a high fever. she is currently on meds but its been three days. i cant get her fever to break. i have recorded it yesterday to be 104.3. my daughter is not her self, she is breathing faster than normal and often twitches when the fever is high, has diarrhea (but is also a side effect of the medicine) and is vomiting.  i cant get her fever below 102 for 3 days now. will the doctor even do anything if she is already being treated? plus she is not keeping the antibiotics down. I'm currently trying to reach the doctors office but not sure if i should wait for an opening or go back to the ER, help please.

by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 7:39 AM
Replies (11-19):
Vertical15
by Vanessa on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:09 PM

Definately get back to the Dr.  If she isn't keeping the antibiotics down they can't work and if she isn't showing signs of getting better there is still something going on.  *hugs*  I hope shes feeling better soon.

new_mom808
by Andrea on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:55 PM

 Hve you noticed a difference since they switched meds?

TigerofMu
by Sonja on Feb. 19, 2013 at 7:08 PM

I'd take her back into the ER as soon as possible and I would explain everything.

dusky_rose
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 11:19 AM

How is she doing now?


PrincessZ20
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:20 PM


Quoting cara124:

if she isnt keeping the meds down then they can't work so you need to take her to the doctor or ER so they can treat her in a different way so the meds have  a chance to work .

I agree! 


karamille
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:43 PM

Well its totally possible that she picked up another illness while at the ER and now you are dealing with that.  She's right in the window for when that would show up.  ERs are nasty germy places.  We avoid them completely unless their life is in danger.  I would have held out until morning with the first fever and saw the ped in the morning.  But now that she is vomiting up her abx and has diarrhea, now it might be time to go for hydration therapy.  Give her dr some time to call you back before you go.  They may be able to straight admit you for hydration and you can avoid the nasty ER

countrygirlkat
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 12:39 AM

 I hope the switch in meds helped! 

sunshine86912
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 6:06 AM

 with a fever THAT high, YES! dr office ASAP!

MusherMaggie
by Bronze Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 6:48 PM
ER.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)