Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

10 Kids' Books for Black History Month

Posted by   + Show Post

http://www.workingmother.com/family-time/10-kids039-books-black-history-month?cmpid=enews021913&spPodID=010&spMailingID=4730023&spUserID=MzIxODIwMzkwNjIS1&spJobID=142505715&spReportId=MTQyNTA1NzE1S0

Help your children learn about an important part of our culture and history with these books that celebrate key African-American figures.

Do you have any of these books or other suggestions?

by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 3:19 PM
Replies (21-29):
Bob192
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:52 PM
1 mom liked this

These all look great!

.Angelica.
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 1:24 AM

i've never even heard of any of those

new_mom808
by Andrea on Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:13 AM

When I was in 5th grade our teacher read, out loud, over the course of about a month "Roll of Thunder Hear my Cry" by Mildred Taylor. I highly recomend it for older children.

Quoting Vertical15:

The Gold Cadillac

Madelaine
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:23 PM

thanks

egyptian_mommy
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 3:16 PM
1 mom liked this
I have heard of some of those. The quilt one sounds very familiar. We have "Aunt Harriet's Underground Railroad In The Sky". It's also by Faith Ringgold. I read it as a kid and when I saw it in a bookstore a couple years ago I got it for my kids. They don't understand some of it yet but it's a good learning opportunity. On a recent trip to Madame Tussaud's the boys got to see a wax figure of Harriet Tubman. They were excited and interested to see her after reading about her. There was also a figure of Martin Luther King Jr and I explained a little about him too when they asked.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
egyptian_mommy
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 3:20 PM
1 mom liked this

The boys with Harriet Tubman's figure.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Vertical15
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 3:26 PM

Thats awesome that you've been giving them these learning tools all along. 

Quoting egyptian_mommy:

I have heard of some of those. The quilt one sounds very familiar. We have "Aunt Harriet's Underground Railroad In The Sky". It's also by Faith Ringgold. I read it as a kid and when I saw it in a bookstore a couple years ago I got it for my kids. They don't understand some of it yet but it's a good learning opportunity. On a recent trip to Madame Tussaud's the boys got to see a wax figure of Harriet Tubman. They were excited and interested to see her after reading about her. There was also a figure of Martin Luther King Jr and I explained a little about him too when they asked.

PrincessZ20
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:16 PM

Alex got a children's book about Obama for his 2nd birthday a few years ago - his party happened to fall the same day as Obama's first inauguration, so it was an appropriate gift  :)

Quoting Vertical15:

A President from Hawaii

Vertical15
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 10:13 AM
1 mom liked this

That was a good idea :)

Quoting PrincessZ20:

Alex got a children's book about Obama for his 2nd birthday a few years ago - his party happened to fall the same day as Obama's first inauguration, so it was an appropriate gift  :)

Quoting Vertical15:

A President from Hawaii

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)