Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is anyone seeing an illness like this in their area? *UPDATE IN RED*

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 6:18 AM
  • 57 Replies

I have never seen a gastrointestinal illness like this before.  Does anyone know if anything like this is going around?  I'm not sure if this is just some weird virus that needs to run its course or if I should take Max in to the Dr.  His diarrhea is pretty bad and our dr is an hour a way, so I would have to get some some "Goodnights" to even get there.... and he would be mortified since he's not a kid to have accidents.

Timeline:

Monday morning - went to the batthroom with a looser than nornmal stool, but didn't have any more BMs all day

Monday afternoon - spiked a fever of 101.7 that eventually went to 103.5 and then we treated with motrin and it came down to normal.

1 am Tuesday morning - Max vomited 1x, 102 temp took more motrin  and went back to bed

Tuesday morning - Fever back, he looks... ill.  Dark circles, pale, etc...  Doesn't' want to eat, but drinks with no problem.  Takes motrin fever gone for the rest of the day and he's acting mostly like his self, just a little tired

Tuesday evening - Pukes 1x and fever is back.  I start to wonder if he may have strep again even though tonsils are gone since he's got... that funny breath that goes with strep

Tuesday bedtime - has 2 incidents of watery diarrhea

Early wednesday morning - has accident, more watery diarrhea, no fever.

Has anyone seen anything like this?  The kid has an iron stomach, rarely ever gets anything gastrointestinal at all - if anything its generally just vomiting, and one looser than normal stool and he's good to go like nothing every happened.   I find it odd that it started with such a high fever and then the diarrhea didn't really come on for almost 36 hours in.  He's not complaining of abdominal pain so i don't think its an appendicitis.  Anyone aware of any gastrointestinal illness going around that leads with a high fever?  I read up on norovirus, and it says only low grade fever, if any fever at all so I don't think its that.

Second kid down with vomiting!   OMG.  Shoot me now.  This is so awful.  If I get this too before they are better I don't know what we are going to do.  =/   Max how acts like he feels fine between bouts of diarrha, but his gut is getting crampy now with BMs where it was before.  Ike is just vomiting right now but it looks like he has digested nothing from the day before and maybe even dinner the night before that.  He puked 5 times trying to get it all up.  Yuck.  I think finally has all of that up so its going to be chicken noodle soup and jello here today.  

by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 6:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
emmy526
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 6:27 AM

there's a new stomach virus from australia thats pretty bad...my sister who is in her 50's had something similar to what you've described, only her virus lasted for a week...kept coming and going with bouts of vomitting and diahrrea

emmy526
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 6:29 AM

E-coli and salmonella poisoning also mimick stomach viruses as well...has he eaten any under cooked beef or chicken lately? Gone out to eat at a restaurant? 

karamille
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 6:32 AM

Well... I did some googling and it doesn't fit those too, but it does fit listeria.  He had a hotdog on Saturday - which is something we RARELY ever have, but hubs had a fire going burning some brush and Max wanted to it to be cookout (in 30 degree weather!) so I ran down to the grocery store and bought a package of hebrew national hotdogs.  He roasted 1 hot dog, got it hot, ate it, and no one else had one.  

Quoting emmy526:

E-coli and salmonella poisoning also mimick stomach viruses as well...has he eaten any under cooked beef or chicken lately? Gone out to eat at a restaurant? 

marissa615
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 6:35 AM

I would go to the ER.  If he gets dehydrated it will only make things worse.Sounds like he couldbe very dehydrated between all the vomitting, diarrhea and fevers...poor little man.

karamille
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 6:39 AM

Quoting marissa615:

I would go to the ER.  If he gets dehydrated it will only make things worse.Sounds like he couldbe very dehydrated between all the vomitting, diarrhea and fevers...poor little man.

At his point, he's drinking gaterade really well and his mouth is still nice and moist.  I'd hate to take him in an catch something resperatory from all the sicky since he does have asthma if we don't have to.  =/  I guess we will play it by ear to see if we start losing ground on hydration.  If he starts drying up, we will definitely go and risk the germies.  I might stop at the pharmacy and pick him up a mask first.  I wish we could just get a stool collection kit to use at home and drop off.  And a strep test for that matter....   

emmy526
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 6:41 AM

hot dogs are already precooked, so unless the hot dog was out of the fridge for days in unsafe temps, i don't think that was the culprit.  

Quoting karamille:

Well... I did some googling and it doesn't fit those too, but it does fit listeria.  He had a hotdog on Saturday - which is something we RARELY ever have, but hubs had a fire going burning some brush and Max wanted to it to be cookout (in 30 degree weather!) so I ran down to the grocery store and bought a package of hebrew national hotdogs.  He roasted 1 hot dog, got it hot, ate it, and no one else had one.  

Quoting emmy526:

MichelleK41
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 6:58 AM

Norovirus has been going around in some states as well as RSV.

Mipsy
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 7:12 AM
C. Difficile?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TigerofMu
by Sonja on Feb. 20, 2013 at 7:34 AM

We've had the vomiting and diarrhea, but no fever. The fever went with the cough and the earache, so I'm sorry that I'm no help!

batjmom
by Sarah on Feb. 20, 2013 at 7:54 AM
Just a cold around here. The flu my youngest had before Christmas
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)