Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

Is anyone seeing an illness like this in their area? *UPDATE IN RED*

Posted by   + Show Post

I have never seen a gastrointestinal illness like this before.  Does anyone know if anything like this is going around?  I'm not sure if this is just some weird virus that needs to run its course or if I should take Max in to the Dr.  His diarrhea is pretty bad and our dr is an hour a way, so I would have to get some some "Goodnights" to even get there.... and he would be mortified since he's not a kid to have accidents.

Timeline:

Monday morning - went to the batthroom with a looser than nornmal stool, but didn't have any more BMs all day

Monday afternoon - spiked a fever of 101.7 that eventually went to 103.5 and then we treated with motrin and it came down to normal.

1 am Tuesday morning - Max vomited 1x, 102 temp took more motrin  and went back to bed

Tuesday morning - Fever back, he looks... ill.  Dark circles, pale, etc...  Doesn't' want to eat, but drinks with no problem.  Takes motrin fever gone for the rest of the day and he's acting mostly like his self, just a little tired

Tuesday evening - Pukes 1x and fever is back.  I start to wonder if he may have strep again even though tonsils are gone since he's got... that funny breath that goes with strep

Tuesday bedtime - has 2 incidents of watery diarrhea

Early wednesday morning - has accident, more watery diarrhea, no fever.

Has anyone seen anything like this?  The kid has an iron stomach, rarely ever gets anything gastrointestinal at all - if anything its generally just vomiting, and one looser than normal stool and he's good to go like nothing every happened.   I find it odd that it started with such a high fever and then the diarrhea didn't really come on for almost 36 hours in.  He's not complaining of abdominal pain so i don't think its an appendicitis.  Anyone aware of any gastrointestinal illness going around that leads with a high fever?  I read up on norovirus, and it says only low grade fever, if any fever at all so I don't think its that.

Second kid down with vomiting!   OMG.  Shoot me now.  This is so awful.  If I get this too before they are better I don't know what we are going to do.  =/   Max how acts like he feels fine between bouts of diarrha, but his gut is getting crampy now with BMs where it was before.  Ike is just vomiting right now but it looks like he has digested nothing from the day before and maybe even dinner the night before that.  He puked 5 times trying to get it all up.  Yuck.  I think finally has all of that up so its going to be chicken noodle soup and jello here today.  

by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 6:18 AM
Replies (51-57):
BabyTeki
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:16 AM
We had a horrible stomach bug come through our house around thanksgiving. Luckily I had it the worst and the kids only got the diarrhea
letstalk747
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:36 PM

JUST GREAT

Quoting emmy526:

there's a new stomach virus from australia thats pretty bad...my sister who is in her 50's had something similar to what you've described, only her virus lasted for a week...kept coming and going with bouts of vomitting and diahrrea

karamille
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 12:24 AM

It seems to be what Max's is doing.  He was free of any vomitting or diarrhea from 10pm on wednesday to 10pm on thursday so techically he could have went back to school on friday.  However he still wasn't totally rehydrated so I planned on keeping him home, but was having my doubts about it because how much school he missed - a full week.  But we got a snow day today.  Then the poor guy had two bouts of diarrhea so its a good thing we didn't send him.  He still only peed 1x today despite another 32oz of gaterade.  32 oz -40oz is about as much as I can get into the 55lb kid in one day.   We we be at it again tomorrow trying to get him hydrated enough to start peeing regularly 

Quoting letstalk747:

JUST GREAT

Quoting emmy526:

there's a new stomach virus from australia thats pretty bad...my sister who is in her 50's had something similar to what you've described, only her virus lasted for a week...kept coming and going with bouts of vomitting and diahrrea

new_mom808
by Andrea on Feb. 27, 2013 at 12:06 PM

How is everyone doing????

Lacey1951
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 2:34 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes ! its called the paro-virus and the rino virus , it all over with the same systems , it last for 7to 10 days and the anti bacterial soaop doesnt work so use hot soap and water , It is very likely the whole house will get this  it's everywhere , schools work places and the hospitals are full as well .The Drs say fluids stay hyrdated  to keep up your strench .Good luck I;m sick too with the paro virus and have had this for 6days and finally feeling better . I;m In Nashua New Hamphire .

amonkeymom
by Amy on Feb. 27, 2013 at 2:43 PM

Oh yuck!  I hope both boys are feeling better soon.

Yes, I've heard of some nasty bugs going around and this is one of them. :(

karamille
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 9:15 PM

My husband had one job.  Keep up with the sanitizing and cloroxing while I went into work for 4 hours on saturday.  Did he do it?  Nope.  He let Max wipe his own butt, didn't enforce handwashing, and didn't wipe down the bathroom after each use.  So I scrubbed down all handles and surfaces again after work (I was soo pissed - since it would have been easier just to keep up the momentum) 48 hours later, hubs is sick and I have ZERO sympathy for him.  He is sequestered to his own bathroom and not allowed to use the bathroom the rest of us are using.   He was making fun of my crazy cleaning all last week but guess who's no laughing now?  I am hoping I don't get it from him.  *sigh*

Kids are doing fine.  Max it took a good 3 days of being illness-free to get Max rehydrated and peeing regularly.  Ike just had the vomiting and lethargy and got over it quicker, but I was giving him my elderberry syrup.  I woke up with a really bad headache today thinking that it was starting on me, but it went away with some advil.  I had chinese last night so I think it was the MSG setting off my heachache.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN