Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

Orange tongue *update* -2nd update

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 1:13 PM
  • 49 Replies
My three year old has an orange tongue!?!?? I thought at first it was left from her eating gold fish or cheese it crackers BUT after a few day of not eating them, brushing her tongue a couple times a day it's still orange!

Any one ever deal with this? Any suggestions?

Thank you :)

**quick update - finally talked to her Dr. He is as baffled as we are. He suspects it's antibiotics causing this but wants to do a culture.

I did some googling and it seems this orange coloring of the tongue has shown up in adults usually after dental work, and is caused by a bacteria. There was one posted story of a toddler with orange tongue and was due to a recent antibiotics..... The frustrating part is it seems no real cure. The good thing is it doesn't seem to bother her and she is eating fine. I have noticed the color gets more orange when she has sugars (even oatmeal with a bit of brown sugar)

Thanks for the interest ladies! I will be sure to keep you all posted

***2nd update...
Finally found a probiotic my daughter will take without a fight... And it has worked! Orange tongue is gone after only two days ! We will keep going with the probiotics daily and keeping sugar to a minimum.
Thanks for the advice and interest! You ladies rock!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 1:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TerriC
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 2:07 PM
1 mom liked this
I have no clue! Please let us know when you find out.
egyptian_mommy
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 2:13 PM
1 mom liked this
How strange.
Vertical15
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 2:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Never heard of that.  Have you called the Dr yet?  Let us know when you figure this out?

Lorraine2674
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 4:21 PM
Hmm well Im waiting for her dr to call back but from what Ive looked up it could be caused by antibiotics and she was just on some to clear up an ear infection... Keep ya'll posted
copperswifey
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 5:24 PM
1 mom liked this

I have never heard of that before. I hope it is just the antibiotics :)

karamille
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 5:34 PM

Hmmmmm.... does she eat a lot of orange veggies like sweet potatoes, carrots, peaches, etc...  Beta carotine can make little kids noses orange... I bet it could make their tongue orange too.

Lorraine2674
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 5:46 PM
Nope... I did wonder if it was too much of one vitamin or something but there isn't anything she eats all the time. It is very strange.

Quoting karamille:

Hmmmmm.... does she eat a lot of orange veggies like sweet potatoes, carrots, peaches, etc...  Beta carotine can make little kids noses orange... I bet it could make their tongue orange too.

dusky_rose
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 7:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Could be from a yeast infection, but I'm not totally sure. Have you spoken to a doctor or nurse yet?

PrincessZ20
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 9:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Yikes!  I'd definitely check with the doctor.  Hopefully it was just the antibiotics!

Charizma77
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting TerriC:

I have no clue! Please let us know when you find out.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)