classroomHaving a kids with allergies isn't easy. The thought that something so harmless to most people, could actually put your child's life in danger is frightening. I know from experience. Things like nuts, milk, and eggs are hard enough to deal with, but one mom was on a mission to keep her daughter away from cotton. Yes cotton. You know, the fabric that 99% of clothes are made of. But she doesn't just want it to be her burden. You won't believe what she asked parents at her daughter's school to do.

She wanted them to buy their children cotton-free school wardrobes to ensure her daughter does not have an allergic reaction. Crazy right. I certainly sympathize with this mom. My son has a nut allergy and I am very grateful that his classroom is nut free (a policy that was in place before we got there). But eliminating one ingredient from the foods allowed in lunches is quite different than having the entire class revamp their wardrobe. Not to mention, it sounds incredibly costly.

But I would be willing to do it if the allergy was life-threatening. In this case, it was. When the fabric touches her skin, the little girl breaks out in a bad rash and her throats starts to swell. All it takes is another child brushing up against her. That is incredibly scary -- not just for the child, but the teachers and other kids too. Can you imagine the guilt a child would feel if they made their friend so sick just because of something they were wearing? Given that, I would probably do my best to meet this mom's request.

We asked over 500 moms what they would do: 11% said they would buy new things; 12% said maybe, depending on the cost; 67% said no, absolutely not. It is asking a lot. Perhaps that family should offer to to subsidize the purchases if they could.

Would you buy your kids new clothes?