Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

Perfume for your baby? And other interesting products!

Posted by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 4:41 PM
  • 56 Replies

http://www.parenting.com/blogs/true-mom-confessions/erin-zammett-ruddy/baby-perfume?src=NL&con=wk&cid=enews022613&spPodID=010&spMailingID=4758581&spUserID=MTY1OTMyMTQ4NDES1&spJobID=143738170&spReportId=MTQzNzM4MTcwS0

There are a slew of new fragrances on the market for the under two set. I’m not surprised they make it—anyone who’s ever walked into a Baby’s R Us knows there is a whole lot of stuff marketed to new parents that they just don’t need (the first thing that comes to mind, for me, is wipe warmers...). But I am confused as to who would buy it. And why.

Quick quiz: What’s considered one of the best smells in the world so much so that it’s become a huge cliché that complete strangers will walk over to one and smell it?

Answer: A baby. They just have a good smell all on their own, right? Maybe it’s a mix of the soaps and creams we use on them (which, yes, have fragrance), maybe it’s their brand-new skin, maybe it’s just that they’re just so pure and perfect. Whatever it is, I don’t think it needs to be messed with. At all.

If someone were holding my baby and told me they smelled yummy I wouldn’t want to be like, “Oh, yeah, it’s Dolce & Gabbana’s Eau de Enfant.” (This is a real thing—and it retails for $45.) Can you imagine? What am I, Beyonce? I’m sure some of these fragrances smell great but as a crazy-busy mom who tries to have a life outside of my kids, I am looking for ways to simplify the child-rearing process by cutting out the unnecessary crap and having to spritz my baby before we go out would be an extra step I’m just not interested in taking. Are you?

Is it even healthy to put this stuff on little babies? Should it be soaking into their skin and being inhaled into their little lungs? The Today Show covered this trend recently and their expert, a doc who's writing a book on babies and toxins, said, not surprisingly, the answer is no. Babies shouldn't wear fragrance and neither should their caregivers. But apparently perfuming your baby has been a popular practice in Europe and Latin America for years. One “perfume for baby!” press release I read included this line: “perfuming isn’t just about deodorizing! It creates a bond with baby, and the scent can bring back memories in years to come.” So now I have to breastfeed and spritz my baby in order to have the proper mother-child bond. Ugh.

I used mostly unscented, mostly organic products on my babies (Alex had really bad eczema) and I remember it bothered my mother that they didn’t have that Johnson’s & Johnson’s baby shampoo smell or the baby powder smell (I’ll admit, I do love both of those smells), but it was more important to me that I use products I felt comfortable using. I also used fragrance-free detergent, which meant their clothes didn’t waft Dreft, another baby-smell shortcoming in some people’s eyes. But my babies still smelled really good (as far as I remember). And there are enough creams and lotions and soaps and shampoos that offer enough fragrance that spraying extra just seems like overkill. I’m not saying these perfume products are bad or unhealthy, I’m just…I don’t know. Not sure why they’re necessary I guess. But I’d love to hear your thoughts. Have you ever seen baby perfume? Would you use it on your infant? Let’s discuss!

Would you use baby perfume or any of these other products?  What products have you seen on the market that make you go...Hmmm?!

by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 4:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Vertical15
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 4:42 PM

Baby Bangs

Babies are great and all, but you know what would make them even better? If they weren't so bald. These delicate hair bands with attached mop top may have been the basis for the Saturday Night Live ad spoof for baby toupees, but these appear to be 100% for real.

Vertical15
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 4:42 PM

Designer Barf Bags

There are some things you just can't pretty up, and vomit is one of them. Yes, it's a good idea to keep a bag in your purse if you're prone to bad morning sickness, but we don't think a bamboo-patterned bag is going to make you feel any more zen about hurling.

Morning Chicness Bags, available at morningchicnessbags.com, $12.95 for a pack of 20

Vertical15
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Play-Doh Cologne

Perfume is supposed to make you feel alluring, not remind you of that time you spent an hour getting Play-Doh out of the carpet. So we don't really get this limited-edition scent, which says "playtime" more than "sexytime."

Demeter Play-Doh Cologne Spray For Women, available at amazon.com, $18.99

arpazia
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 4:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Those are crazy! Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Vertical15
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Bathroom Baby Harness

Ok, we admit, this has happened to us: you're busting to use the bathroom while wearing your baby, and there's not a germ-free spot to put him down while you do your business. Solution: this hanging harness. However, you have to remember to cram it into your already crowded diaper bag-and this unique situation will probably occur maybe four times in your life, which comes out to about $10 per pee.

Babykeeper Hanging Harness, available at mommysentials.com, $39.99

Vertical15
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 4:45 PM

Baby Bum Fan

If your babe's prone to diaper rash, you know it's a good idea to let his nether regions air out. But you know what works well for that? Plain old air, not the kind pushed out by whirring blades aimed at the family jewels.

Baby Bottom Fan, available at nithome.co.kr

Vertical15
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 4:45 PM

© Babyfirstheadgear.com

We've all joked about outfitting an unsteady toddler in a helmet -- but we weren't serious! No one wants to put their baby at (very low) risk for a head injury, but a few bumps and bruises seem like just part of the trial-and-error of learning to walk.

letstalk747
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 4:58 PM

some ya , some no way

Vertical15
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 5:00 PM

Placenta Brooch

Some people wear their heart on their sleeve, others wear their afterbirth on their lapel.

Placenta Brooch, available at yourorgangrinder.etsy.com, $18

Vertical15
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 5:01 PM

Toddler Urinal

Who doesn't want more pee receptacles in their home bathroom?

Peter Potty Toddler Urinal, available at peterpotty.com, $39.99

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)