Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My daughter has a sty on her eye, what to do?

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 9:47 PM
  • 23 Replies
1 mom liked this
My 7 year old has a sty (stye) on the top eyelid of her left eye. It was present for about 4 days and all the while I put breastmilk in her eye. It went away for like a day or two and came back in the same spot. She has not complained about pain, blurred vision, or anything. It is not crusty nor is it red or seem to cause her any discomfort. What should I do since it has reoccurred? Take her to the hospital, pediatrician, or leave it alone?

I don't want to sit at the hospital for hours with her for them to say let it drain or go away on its own but I do not want to go to the pediatrician for them to send me to the hospital. I could go to the MD Now Urgent Care clinic to see. Any advice?
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 9:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
knagsmom
by Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 9:51 PM
Make some tea. Take the tea bag put it in the fridge, for about an hr then lay it on her eye. For about 15 mins do it for a few days should clear up.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
rebeccab1966
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 9:53 PM

Sorry, I can't give you any advice, but I remember as a kid I always used to get them.  My grandmother believed the old wives tale that putting brass or copper on the stye would make it go away, so she'd pin me down and put her copper bracelet on it (and it hurt!)

wife-4-life
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 9:58 PM
I had one in high school. Warm compresses... The steam and heat is supposed help reduce it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
imablowe
by Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 10:00 PM
Does it matter if it is hot or cold tea? Then after the tea sits in the frog for an hour set the cold tea bag on her eye? Thx. Will try.

Quoting knagsmom:

Make some tea. Take the tea bag put it in the fridge, for about an hr then lay it on her eye. For about 15 mins do it for a few days should clear up.

knagsmom
by Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 10:02 PM

think it has to be hot. hope it helps

jsbuck
by Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 10:05 PM
2 moms liked this

I would not put cold on it, try a warm compress (as warm as she can stand).  Do not pop it.  Let it go away on it's own. 

I had a stye on my eyelid last year.  I popped it and then made the huge mistake of putting eye shadow on my lid when I thought it was healed.  It got infected and took me 5 trips to the eye dr, antibiotic cream and then finally oral antibiotics to get rid of it.  It took a total of 5 months for it to be totally gone. 

I hope she feels better soon.

megandwade
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 10:16 PM

Don't touch it! Don't mess with it at all. Don't let her rub or touch her eye. Just let it go away on its own. If you don't mess with it should only take a few days.

I'm not positive but I've always been told they are caused from touching your eye with germs on your hands?

acollins09
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 10:21 PM
2 moms liked this

Warm compress for 10-15 minutes, several times a day?  Don't sqeeze it, or try to pop it.

TigerofMu
by Sonja on Mar. 2, 2013 at 10:49 PM
Quoting jsbuck:

I would not put cold on it, try a warm compress (as warm as she can stand).  Do not pop it.  Let it go away on it's own. 

I had a stye on my eyelid last year.  I popped it and then made the huge mistake of putting eye shadow on my lid when I thought it was healed.  It got infected and took me 5 trips to the eye dr, antibiotic cream and then finally oral antibiotics to get rid of it.  It took a total of 5 months for it to be totally gone. 

I hope she feels better soon.

By the way, I was liking your advice, not that that happened to you!
emmy526
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 8:28 AM

heat up a 14karat gold ring by rubbing it on your pant leg...when the gold gets very warm/hot, touch the sty with the ring..the gold will pull the stuff out of the sty...works for us every time.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)