Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Giving a toddler liquid meds...

Posted by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 9:11 PM
  • 20 Replies
J has always taken his Tylenol/Motrin just fine. He's currently sick for only the second time in his 19months of life. He was prescribed amoxicillin and he thinks its disgusting. He is now refusing any and all meds to the point of locking his mouth shut and/or making himself sick from screaming. Any tips?? We have 14 more doses of this to go!!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 9:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SciFiMama91
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 9:13 PM
1 mom liked this
Plug his nose(shouldn't take more than a couple seconds) until he opens his mouth then squirt it in as far back as possible.
Vertical15
by Vanessa on Mar. 3, 2013 at 9:35 PM
1 mom liked this

We used to have to team up with my one son.  One person gets to hold him down and the other gets to put it into his mouth.  I always reccommend putting it into a syringe and squirting it into his check while holding him.  Its no fun but just think of how much better he'll feel soon.

I feel your pain!  *hugs*

pce68
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 9:41 PM

Did you try getting them to add flavoring to it?

I personally think getting the tablets and crushine them up in food is easier. the liquid antibiotics have changed in the last few years. When my dd was little amoxicillin tasted like bubblegum and we had no problem getting her to take it and then a few years ago we got it and it tasted nasty. So after that we got pills and I crushed them up. Of course my dd was older than your child but it's still an option in the future.

For this time, I'd try getting the pharmacy to add flavoring and then give him a chaser of soda or juice after the meds to get rid of the aftertaste.

TigerofMu
by Sonja on Mar. 3, 2013 at 10:26 PM

Squirt it down the side of his cheek so he can't spit it out as well. 

You can try to sneak it in to other things, but if he tastes it, then you'll have to make him drink the whole glass of whatever, so it could really backfire.  I don't like that method for that reason.

You can go back and have them mix a flavor in to see if it helps.

karamille
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 11:26 PM

The tropical flavored Amox is gross (I think its white).  My kids think the pink one is pretty good.  We just told him this is how it is and it was going to happen whether they liked it or not.  They could do it the easy way and get an M&M after taking it, or the hard way which involved hubby and me forcing it down him - but either way, it he going to take it.  

kellynh
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 8:41 AM

It's never been an issue for me. I never accepted any nonsense over meds. My 4yo, I just hand her the medicine spoon and shell do it herself. Sick or not, they had to listen. 

slw123
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:49 AM

My son was this way.  We basically had to force it into him.  He's 7 and still hates flavored medicines, even when the pharmacy flavors them.  We have to make sure the dentist office uses unflavored tooth polish on him or he will gag.

egyptian_mommy
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 1:30 PM
I was going to suggest offering a 'reward' after. Something to help get the taste out of his mouth is a good idea.
paknari
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 1:34 PM
I always just use a syringe because if it tastes real bad my daughter will throw up. I squirt it as far back and chase it with something that tastes good.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PrincessZ20
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 1:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting TigerofMu:

Squirt it down the side of his cheek so he can't spit it out as well. 

Yep, this is what we do when it's a gross one, but the only one we've have problems with was Lortab - and that involved tears on both our parts :(

But for the most part, my kids love medicine >.<  One will throw a fit if the other gets meds and he doesn't! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)