Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

14 month old... Vegan?

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 4:03 PM
  • 16 Replies
When I thought I had a wonderful time getting my little girl to eat, she changed her mind.

She's now lactose intolerant and refuses to touch anything meat. She's blowing out of diapers with liquid yuck.

Do any vegan mommas know what to feed their babies? Even if I have to puree some legumes and hide them in her pancake and waffle batter. She has become the pickiest eater ever.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 4:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 4:26 PM

There are alot of good yummy stuff for vegans.   What does she typically eat and we can try to make them even more nutritionally packed?    DD is 7 and will not touch anything meat unless it is a certain brand of chicken nuggets.  For her we blend up beef stew and it becomes gravy to put over mashed potatoes.   

Vertical15
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 5:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Have you spoken to her Dr?  Maybe they have a list you can work off of?

I found this-

Many vegan children like:

http://www.vegansociety.com/lifestyle/nutrition/infants-and-children.aspx

• Bagels with nut butter or hummous
• Bean burritos or tacos
• Fresh or dried fruit
• Mashed potatoes
• Oven-cooked chips
• Pancakes and waffles
• Pasta with tomato sauce
• Peanut butter and yeast extract sandwiches
• Pizza without cheese, topped with vegetables and pulses, tofu, or fake meat
• Raw vegetables with dips
• Shakes made with soya milk and fruit
• Spaghetti with tomato sauce
• Tofu/vegetarian dogs
• Veggie burgers

coreilly89
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 6:34 PM
She's on a bananas and berry waffle binge right now after her tummy flu. She likes berries, bananas, anything bland. She hates tart/bitter things. She won't touch grapes, kiwi, mango, anything citrus, cherries, raspberries or just ripe blueberries. Or meat.

Quoting frndlyfn:

There are alot of good yummy stuff for vegans.   What does she typically eat and we can try to make them even more nutritionally packed?    DD is 7 and will not touch anything meat unless it is a certain brand of chicken nuggets.  For her we blend up beef stew and it becomes gravy to put over mashed potatoes.   

JasonsMom2007
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 6:36 PM
1 mom liked this
Have you tried quinoa? It is extremely healthy and can be cooked a ton of ways.
coreilly89
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 6:36 PM
A lot of this can't apply. Even if it looks like meat she won't touch it. Just raw fruit and very little steamed veggies. She's only 14 months old.

Quoting Vertical15:

Have you spoken to her Dr?  Maybe they have a list you can work off of?

I found this-

Many vegan children like:

http://www.vegansociety.com/lifestyle/nutrition/infants-and-children.aspx

• Bagels with nut butter or hummous
• Bean burritos or tacos
• Fresh or dried fruit
• Mashed potatoes
• Oven-cooked chips
• Pancakes and waffles
• Pasta with tomato sauce
• Peanut butter and yeast extract sandwiches
• Pizza without cheese, topped with vegetables and pulses, tofu, or fake meat
• Raw vegetables with dips
• Shakes made with soya milk and fruit
• Spaghetti with tomato sauce
• Tofu/vegetarian dogs
• Veggie burgers

auntangelofsix
by Angel on Mar. 6, 2013 at 6:40 PM
Sorry I'm no help here.
karamille
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 8:41 PM
1 mom liked this

You need to get an appointment with a nutritionist.  Just about every insurance will pay for at least one visit - most will pay for more.  Ours continued to help us via email after our appointment.  Your challenge will be to get her enough fat/protein for proper brain development.  Anyone dealing with a picky child OR dietary restricted child should see a nutritionist - and you have both.  Good luck!

PrincessZ20
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 8:51 PM

I agree, a trip to the nutritionist is a good idea.

Will she eat beans?  

coreilly89
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:36 PM

If I put them in something. Lol. She wont eat peas unless DF encourages her to. Anything round(ish), she'll just squish. I think I'm going to have to watch my bubble wrap around her. That's MY stash.

Quoting PrincessZ20:

I agree, a trip to the nutritionist is a good idea.

Will she eat beans?  

new_mom808
by Andrea on Mar. 7, 2013 at 8:44 AM
3 moms liked this

First of all, TOTALLY normal to go through this picky phase. I've heard of a lot of kids who go through an anti-meat stage between 14-20 months, my son included. (Nearly broke his dads heart LOL)

If she likes the fresh fruit and veggies, then absolutely go with that. My son is 4 and his favorite dinner, besides spagetti, is still raw carrots, raw broccoli, and apple slices. He would eat it every single day if I let him. It's really a very healty way to eat.

If you are asking about protien, I really wouldnt worry too much. They dont need a lot. Make sure you are replacing the fats, iron, calcium and magnesium that she's not getting from the meat and milk and you'll be fine.
Peas, avacado, nuts, raw spinach, & cooked beans are all excellent sources of these nutrients and easily added into a toddlers diet.

ETA: when my son went through that phase I also added a 1/2 capsul of fish oil to my sons food a few times per week.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)