Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

Desperately Seeking Swimsuits

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:05 AM
  • 78 Replies

All four of the girls need new swimsuits, and with the styles these days I am having a lot of trouble finding something that I feel is appropriate without spending two arms and a leg. 

I have checked the modest swimwear sites, but they are way overpriced, and I don't feel that I need to be quite as extreme as some of them.  I think tankinis would be the most convenient and easiest on and off, but I want racerbacks with solid straps, built in bras for at least the two older girls...I know, I'm so picky. 

I have looked at Land's End and LL Bean, Target, Ebay (way too many to sort), and I am running out of thoughts.  I am on my way to Kohl's website, and Speedo...can you think of anything else?  What do your kids wear to swim (Well girls anyway)?

I tried to buy them suits for Christmas from the clearance racks, but my size 14 girl can't wear the new size 16 swimsuits, so I measured and am hitting the "stores" again...

by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:17 AM
1 mom liked this

You need to have them go in and try suits to verify their correct sizes.   DD is a one piece girl since her torso is longer than her waist is wide.  She is thin and tall.     What is your price range?  You may need to compromise on an aspect or two.

TigerofMu
by Sonja on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:21 AM

The problem is we live in rural Wyoming, and even when we get into town, the town here does not have any kind of selection.  I measured them because of that, and because the store sizes were obviously not uniform.  I thought if I could find some sports suits online I might be able to find something. 

My price range is as low as possible since I need to buy four and two of them are going to have to wear women's suits.

Quoting frndlyfn:

You need to have them go in and try suits to verify their correct sizes.   DD is a one piece girl since her torso is longer than her waist is wide.  She is thin and tall.     What is your price range?  You may need to compromise on an aspect or two.

PrincessZ20
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:28 AM
1 mom liked this

I have no idea, but Kohl's sounds like a good place to look!  I have two boys so they're pretty easy - and no issues with modesty, lol. 

I'm not looking forward to needing to buy non-sexy girly bathing suits in the future though :( 

TigerofMu
by Sonja on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:26 PM

I did find some great ones for the older girls at swimoutlet.com. And I have found some at Kohl's that really aren't too bad, considering. 

My younger three all for some reason think they need bikinis, and I really don't think so.

Quoting PrincessZ20:

I have no idea, but Kohl's sounds like a good place to look!  I have two boys so they're pretty easy - and no issues with modesty, lol. 

I'm not looking forward to needing to buy non-sexy girly bathing suits in the future though :( 

TigerofMu
by Sonja on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:27 PM
1 mom liked this

My choice for Hannah (and her second choice):

Hannah's choice for Hannah

TigerofMu
by Sonja on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:28 PM

Becca's second choice (and my first):

Becca's choice:

See a trend?

TigerofMu
by Sonja on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:28 PM

Justice's choice (Yay Justice!):

TigerofMu
by Sonja on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:29 PM

What I really need is to be able to take them shopping one at a time, give them the parameters, and not let them see each other's choices till everyone has chosen!

TigerofMu
by Sonja on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:29 PM

I'm going for a walk to let my brain stop smoking for awhile.

TerriC
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 2:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Our Kmart has quite a variety as well as Target.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)