Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

Broken foot? - UPDATE

Posted by on Mar. 13, 2013 at 12:03 PM
  • 30 Replies

My 4 year old apparently hurt his foot OVER A WEEK AGO. I remember when he did it (jumping off the couch -a big no-no). He cried for a minute; we put ice on it. It never swelled and he was back to playing 10 minutes later.
Then Monday I noticed he was walking funny. His foot was sort of turned in, like a pigeon toe, and his toes were curled. Then last night at basketball he could barely run. His foot was turned in to badly that he kept tripping himself. We've been asking for 2 days if his foot is okay, and why is he walking funny etc. Finally last night when we pressured him and make him take his shoe off he yells. "Fine, I'll tell you!! My foot hurts. I hurt it when I jumped off the couch." What??

So now I'm waiting for the ped to call me back to see if he wants to see him or if I should just take him to the Childrens Urgent Care.

I'm hoping it's just a tendon or something, but he said it hurs all the way across, on the top.

Has anyone ever broken their foot? Can you really walk on it for a week and not complain?

update: so we had it x-rayed and there is a small break. Now we wait to see the doctor and see what they say. Not sure if they'll boot it. His only concern, of course, is whether or not he can still play basketball. I asked him why he didnt tell me it was still hurting. He said he thought I knew. Kids!!!

Thank you all for your well wishes.

by on Mar. 13, 2013 at 12:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TerriC
by on Mar. 13, 2013 at 12:53 PM

My sister did and she could not walk on it very well.  Maybe a bad sprain?  Let us know what you find out.  I hope he isn't in pain!!

louannwilkins
by on Mar. 13, 2013 at 1:04 PM

I did....back when I was in high school.  I had several broken bones and some were splintered....I walked on it for weeks....I thought it was just a bad sprain.  I hope his will be something other than a break....maybe a bad sprain.  Let us know.  :)

Mom2jngnc
by on Mar. 13, 2013 at 2:00 PM

I am sure he could deal with it for a week, and then get to the point where he couldn't take it any more. 

I know my husband broke his arm when he was 6, and it wasn't until 2 weeks later doing a push-up in gym class that he reached the point where his mother took him in for an x-ray. Otherwise he had been doing everything without an issue. 

Vertical15
by on Mar. 13, 2013 at 2:12 PM

Oh no!  I hope its ok!

Kaeden jumped off his nightstand and limped for a good week ro so.  It wasn't broken though just a sprain but it was scary to watch him limp so much.

PrincessZ20
by on Mar. 13, 2013 at 2:31 PM

I've never experienced a broken bone, so I really don't know.  I hope it's not broken though!

new_mom808
by Andrea on Mar. 13, 2013 at 3:02 PM

Thanks everyone for your replies and kind words. He's being such a trooper. I think he gets a frosty on the way home. :)

Vertical15
by on Mar. 13, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Oh no!  I hope it heals fast and properly!

frndlyfn
by Bronze Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 2:58 AM

Kids I tell ya.  I think more children have broken bones than we know of since they usually have his logic.

TerriC
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 7:27 AM

Glad you have an answer and I hope it heals quickly!

printerr
by Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 7:34 AM

When I was a kid I broke my foot and we didn't know it.  When it was still hurting a month later we got it x-rayed and discovered the small break (a crack, I think?) in the bone.  They didn't do anything due to the long wait.  So, yes, it is possible to walk on it a week and not really complain...I walked on mine a month.  On the other hand, when I broke my foot as an adult (falling off a curb as I tried to step into a vehicle), it swelled up and I really couldn't walk on it at all.  That one got booted. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)