Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

Pre-School....Advice?

Posted by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 7:01 PM
  • 66 Replies

Did your kids go to a pre-school before they started kindergarten?
I'm really torn. On the one hand, he loves his babysitter. (I have had him in a private residence since he was 8 weeks old.) But on the other hand, does he need to learn "School behaviors" before he starts kindergarten? Things like raising his hand, or standing in line etc. I'm sure he can pick them up, but I'm afraid that the learning curve for these types of things, combined with his natural energy, will frusterate a teacher, and thus sour him on school.

He knows his letters, recognizes them both capital and lower case (for the most part). He recognizes his number through 10, and can add objects and dots etc up through ten, and write those numbers.

He wont start school until fall '14.  Ideally I would like a 3 day preschool, to sort of transition him, but all of the pre-K classes around here are 5 days a week.

Also, do they still do naps in pre-k? This kid REALLY still needs a nap.

Did your kids go to pre-school / pre-k? Was it helpful? Necessary? Give me some advice, please!!

by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 7:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 7:20 PM

DD never went to preschool due to us not being able to afford it.  She took a few months but we let the teachers know right away she never had formal schooling before kindergarten.  The pre-ks around here do not offer naps for their students since they are teaching them what to expect in kindergarten.  DD was in a full day kindergarten so by time she got home she would need quiet time.

ardiaxe
by Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:35 AM

My son is in his second year of preschool and he really came out of his shell.  Acedemically he's perfect, he can read and write, but the social part needed some work.  He made lots of friends and this made him so happy.  He is so confident because of preschool and learned those important school behaviors.  I can't imagine him not going to preschool, it really helped him, the confidence and happiness was the biggest change. 

sunshine86912
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 4:11 AM

the preschool here doesnt do a lot of the kinder things..they dont FORCE them to do anything..so I would look into what curriculm the potentional preschool is using before making any choices

karamille
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 7:58 AM

I highly recommend doing at least one year of preschool.  My kids did more than one year, but that was  because we have several very reasonably priced options nearby.  Max napped up until the summer before kindy so we did morning preschool so he cold still get his afternoon nap in.  

batjmom
by Sarah on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:48 AM
My kids both went to preschool and I loved it for them. They started at age 3. Went twice a week and at age 4 three times a week. Mine only went for 2.5 hours. The preschool was part of our church but also a full preschool daycare. The kids that were there longer did take naps.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TerriC
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 9:40 AM
My girls did go to pre-school. I wanted them to get used to being around a bigger group of kids and learn to socialize a bit. They both loved it and I think it helped prepare them for school and the process of getting up to go to school.
auntangelofsix
by Angel on Mar. 22, 2013 at 2:30 PM
No my oldest did vpk in a elementry school.
TigerofMu
by Sonja on Mar. 22, 2013 at 3:57 PM
1 mom liked this

Mine did, but it sounds like he already knows the basics.  If you have him in a place where you are comfortable and he is comfortable, I think that is a lot more important, especially if he already has those basics.

MusherMaggie
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 4:01 PM
No--I thought five years old was soon enough to send them into someone's care other than my own. Mine did half-day kindergarten as well. No full time until they went to school. Neither had any trouble with the over-rated notion of "socialization".
IloveNCIS
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 4:48 PM

My son went 2 years to preschool. Now we are homeschooling, been doing it for 2 years. He will be going to private school next year. I feel I am not doing a good job at homeschooling and he would do better in school.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN