Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

Kids birthday present?

Posted by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 7:26 AM
  • 36 Replies
I need opinions. My daughters birthday is in two weeks. She will be 10. Ahhhh!!!! Anyway my hubby saw family yesterday and they gave him her gifts. I want her to wait until her birthday. Is this bad? Do I just let her have them now? Here's part of the reason. My dd will not have family around for her birthday. Normally she has her grandparents the day of but not this year. I think her waiting to open will be more fun. But then again I feel bad with them sitting here.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 7:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MichelleK41
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 8:14 AM

I'd wait until her birthday so that she remembers the family who gifted her. With children their minds tend to wander after a certain amount of time. If not I am sure on her day she may be asking you if so and so family member sent her a present, then you will have to remind her, *Remember honey you opened those 2 weeks ago.*  You can always hide them so neither of you see the presents, hehe.

TigerofMu
by Sonja on Mar. 25, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Are they there now and won't be there in two weeks, or did they just give the gifts to your husband to give to her?  If they are there, it might be nice for her to be able to open them while they are there.  If they just gave the gifts, then I don't see any reason why you shouldn't wait for her birthday.  She will give them a thank you call or note, right?

batjmom
by Sarah on Mar. 25, 2013 at 10:36 AM
1 mom liked this
I agree. If they are there I would let her open them.
My sons birthday is in a couple weeks and my parents send his gifts. He does not get to open until his birthday.

Quoting TigerofMu:

Are they there now and won't be there in two weeks, or did they just give the gifts to your husband to give to her?  If they are there, it might be nice for her to be able to open them while they are there.  If they just gave the gifts, then I don't see any reason why you shouldn't wait for her birthday.  She will give them a thank you call or note, right?

sukainah
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 11:27 AM

I'd think it would be better to wait so her birthday feels special.  That is a long time to wait.  She'll be happier on her birthday though being able to open them on her special day.

Rushn311
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 12:52 PM

I always let her open them early unless told otherwise.

mhmomma
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 3:06 PM
Ya she seemed ok with me not letting her open it. I like her to wait. It's not her day yet

Quoting MichelleK41:

I'd wait until her birthday so that she remembers the family who gifted her. With children their minds tend to wander after a certain amount of time. If not I am sure on her day she may be asking you if so and so family member sent her a present, then you will have to remind her, *Remember honey you opened those 2 weeks ago.*  You can always hide them so neither of you see the presents, hehe.

new_mom808
by Andrea on Mar. 25, 2013 at 3:11 PM

I agree, if given the option I would let her open them in front of the giver. Otherwise let her open them all on her b-day.

sanj1213
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 5:59 PM

Maybe she can just open one. 

mhmomma
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 7:43 PM
No my dd and I could not make it to dinner. It was for Palm Sunday. Well dds birthday is in two weeks. So the cousin sent gifts with hubby. We don't normally see them on her birthday. Her dds birthday is the end of March. She opened hers.

Quoting TigerofMu:

mhmomma
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 7:44 PM
Nope. Dd did not see them. They were sent home with hubby.

Quoting batjmom:

I agree. If they are there I would let her open them.

My sons birthday is in a couple weeks and my parents send his gifts. He does not get to open until his birthday.

Quoting TigerofMu:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)