Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

Tiny toddler?

Posted by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 6:28 PM
  • 27 Replies

My son turned 2 in December. He is at the very bottom of the charts in height and weight. He weighs 21lbs and is just now too big for his 12 months clothes. 

He's been about as healthy as most kids. He gets his fair share of colds and ear infections. But other than that perfectly fine. 

Last spring he went through a period of 6 months where he gained no weight. He had a bad cold for some of it. So at first the doctors said he was just gaining back what he lost when sick. But he still didn't gain they got concerned. He's been meeting all his milestones at the right rate. 

He's had two blood, stool and urine tests all negative for everything. He also had a sodium chloride sweat test to rule out CF, it was also negative. 

He is offered food all the time and eats what seems like a decent amount. But his older brother eats like a bird so I could just be comparing him to his brother. 

Any suggestions for helping him gain? Any similar experiences?

by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 6:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 7:17 PM

DD was a very skinny girl but tall.   She has never had an ear infection *knock on wood* and she is 7 yrs old.  During the toddler phase of age she actually fell off the chart as in she was <1 % of her peers for weight.

frndlyfn
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 7:18 PM

Make all the creamy foods with whole milk if he doesnt have dairy allergies.  Avocados are higher in calories and healthy fats. Just keep offering him healthy foods and eventually he will catch up in weight.

maxswolfsuit
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 7:22 PM

Quoting frndlyfn:

Make all the creamy foods with whole milk if he doesnt have dairy allergies.  Avocados are higher in calories and healthy fats. Just keep offering him healthy foods and eventually he will catch up in weight.

Poor Zack isn't on the charts either. 

I give him whole milk, cheese and yogurt. I've tried avocados a couple of times and he hates them. No one else in the family will eat them so I hate to keep trying since they end up being wasted. But I know they're a great source of healthy fat. 

frndlyfn
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 7:24 PM

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting frndlyfn:

I give him whole milk, cheese and yogurt. I've tried avocados a couple of times and he hates them. No one else in the family will eat them so I hate to keep trying since they end up being wasted. But I know they're a great source of healthy fat. 

Did you try mixing them into something?  Some people can tolerate them if they are in a smoothie type drink or a soup type of use.   My guy makes quacamole or uses one as a spread instead of mayo.

maxswolfsuit
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 7:25 PM

Quoting frndlyfn:

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting frndlyfn:

Did you try mixing them into something?  Some people can tolerate them if they are in a smoothie type drink or a soup type of use.   My guy makes quacamole or uses one as a spread instead of mayo.

I didn't try a smoothy. That makes it worth buying them again. Thanks for the idea!

frndlyfn
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 7:45 PM
1 mom liked this

http://www.yummly.com/recipes/avocado-fruit-smoothie            See if any of these appeal to you.  The only thing that may throw anyone off is the green color but you can make up silly names to cover for that LOL.

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting frndlyfn:

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting frndlyfn:

I didn't try a smoothy. That makes it worth buying them again. Thanks for the idea!

ardiaxe
by Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 12:34 AM

I have a tiny toddler too.  My daughter was 18lbs at a year and stopped gaining for the longest.  We noticed that she loves heavy whipping cream, so she gets a tablespoon after every meal.  She started gaining again once we did that and is now 24 lbs at 2 yrs.  she just needed a little boost.  Some kids are so active and burn calories quickly.  If the tests are negative, don't worry.  Was he breastfed?  Breastfed babies are usually smaller in weight than their peers. What is his height?

Was his brother small at 2 as well?

maxswolfsuit
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 8:41 AM

Quoting ardiaxe:

I have a tiny toddler too.  My daughter was 18lbs at a year and stopped gaining for the longest.  We noticed that she loves heavy whipping cream, so she gets a tablespoon after every meal.  She started gaining again once we did that and is now 24 lbs at 2 yrs.  she just needed a little boost.  Some kids are so active and burn calories quickly.  If the tests are negative, don't worry.  Was he breastfed?  Breastfed babies are usually smaller in weight than their peers. What is his height?

Was his brother small at 2 as well?

He was breastfed. His brother has always been around the 10-15% in height and weight. But he's also always steadily gained. The baby's growth hasn't been steady. 

The cream is a good idea. He would like that. Thanks. 

karamille
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 8:52 AM
1 mom liked this

Ike was very similar.  He ate well but didn't gain/grow.  Allergy asthma dr said he had too much histamine in his gut so he was absorbing his food properly.  We put him on daily antihistamines and he started gaining weight.  He went from 12pts below the zero curve on the growth chart to the 40th percentile in 6 months.  He's about 18 months into this now and he tracks around the 30-35th percentile consistantly.  He looks great!

new_mom808
by Andrea on Mar. 31, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Has he always been small? Are you and/or his dad small? Does he seem to lack energy?
I would look at ways to add healthful calories to his diet. cook with EVOO whenever you can, which is higher in calories, but better for you than most other oils. Avacado is calorie and nutrient dense as well as nuts and nut butters.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN