Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My son turned 2 in December. He is at the very bottom of the charts in height and weight. He weighs 21lbs and is just now too big for his 12 months clothes. 

He's been about as healthy as most kids. He gets his fair share of colds and ear infections. But other than that perfectly fine. 

Last spring he went through a period of 6 months where he gained no weight. He had a bad cold for some of it. So at first the doctors said he was just gaining back what he lost when sick. But he still didn't gain they got concerned. He's been meeting all his milestones at the right rate. 

He's had two blood, stool and urine tests all negative for everything. He also had a sodium chloride sweat test to rule out CF, it was also negative. 

He is offered food all the time and eats what seems like a decent amount. But his older brother eats like a bird so I could just be comparing him to his brother. 

Any suggestions for helping him gain? Any similar experiences?

by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 6:28 PM
Replies (21-27):
norahsmommy
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 4:58 PM
Failure to grow and falling off charts is a symptom.

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting norahsmommy:

You could have him tested for celiacs.

The doctor said at this point it's not necessary because he doesn't have any symptoms other than low weight. 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
maxswolfsuit
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 5:00 PM

True

But there are other symptoms they look for that he does not have. 

Quoting norahsmommy:

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting norahsmommy:

The doctor said at this point it's not necessary because he doesn't have any symptoms other than low weight. 

norahsmommy
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 5:03 PM
Usually toddlers and young kids don't have the 'classic symptoms'. If your doc is waiting for diarreah and pain to test, it may not come for years. My dd's only two symptoms were extreme constipation and abdominal pain related to the constipation.

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

True

But there are other symptoms they look for that he does not have. 

Quoting norahsmommy:

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting norahsmommy:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KristinRox
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 9:22 PM
1 mom liked this

I was in a very similar situation to you with my first dd. She weighed 17lbs when she was 2. She was tall so her clothes didnt fit her length wise, but they were too big around the waste. I had to sew everything. She also had a sweat test to rule out cf, she had mri's and scans, and multiple blood tests done to see if there was something wrong with her. In the end NOTHING was found.. she was a normal girl, but she was small. Now that she is almost 11 she is average sized kid. Im sure its just who your son is, and how is body works. I wouldnt worry too much. Id let him continue what he is doing, because it sounds like hes thriving. 

PrincessZ20
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 1:04 PM

Mine were/are both small as well - Alex fell off the charts completely at one point, and Carter's always been on the smaller end as well.  I think both plateaued for a while as well. 

They did all the various tests with Alex, and by the time we had Carter following the same curve just accepted that that's how our babies grow :)

Both had pretty healthy appetites and were relatively healthy.  At 4, Alex was in the 50th percentile, and at 6, he's now back to 15th again. 

Since you've already ruled out a lot of potential problems, I'd say just make sure he eats a healthy diet, doesn't fill up on drinks, is meeting his milestones, and just happy and healthy in general. 

megandwade
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:00 PM

My son is also a Tiny Toddler. He turned 2 in February. He's 27 pounds. When he was a baby he was huge! He was born 9 pounds and was always way above average on the charts.. until recently. It wasn't making sense to me when in public someone would say he's small for his age. I would just think they've always told me he was big for his age! I didn't even realize until our 2 year wellness visit. They told us he was below average. Somewhere along the way he must have leveled out. After that I noticed he is smaller compared to the other boys his age... but he is well perportioned, healthy (despite pickey eating), and very active. The doctor said we have no worries! He may hit a growth spurt eventually!

lizzig
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:07 PM

my son will be 6 in august & has finally outgrown his 3t pants but can still wear his 3t shorts, his swim trunks are 2t.  he didn't even register on the height & weight charts till he was about 18-20m old & then he was only at 3%.  i think now he is about 30-35% on the charts.  he's healthy, eats a ton & is very active.  for the most part he's healthy; he has eczema & asthma (though he hasn't had issues with that for awhile).  when he was a baby/toddler i was on wic & had to take classes because they said he had a "failure to thrive" issue but the pediatrian has never been concerned about him.

like previous posters suggested make meals with healthy fats, whole milk, etc.  hopefully that will help.  but it may just be genetics.  he may have a very high metabolism.  are you & your husband small?  while i'm over weight, i'm just under 5'4" & hubby is about 5'5" & lean.  so for our little guy to be on the short end of the spectrum isn't odd.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)