Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

Flouride

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:12 PM
  • 11 Replies

My son is 2.

I'm aware that he needs flouride in his diet, but I've read that too much flouride can be a bad thing?

My concern is: I still give him nursery water that contains flouride (because our tap water doesnt) and he has always taken a daily multi vitamin perscribed by his peditrician (he's a picky eater) but recently when I had the script filled this last time the pharmacy gave me a different multivitamin. It's the same name brand and basically the same thing he has been taking but this one says with flouride. I compared the ingredients and the old vitamin has no flouride while the new one has 0.25 mg per dose.

He has not started this new vitamin yet.. should I contact his pediatrician or do you think it's no big deal?

by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:37 PM

If you have any questions about Fluoride, talk to his doctor since he is the one who prescribed it.  Usually the toothpaste that has fluoride in it is enough for a person a day. DD only gets it that way and maybe through the tap water.

ardiaxe
by Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:03 PM
It's really no big deal. Drinking the water and brushing his teeth is plenty.
TerriC
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:57 PM
1 mom liked this
If it is something you are concerned with, I'd go ahead and call the pedi. Couldn't hurt. :-)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
new_mom808
by Andrea on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:33 AM

If he's still getting flourinated water, I would skip the flourinated vitamins. Is he using flourinated tooth paste?

megandwade
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 11:23 AM

His tooth paste is flouride free.. It's the safe to swallow kind as we have not mastered the spitting part yet. :)

What I'm wondering is should I be concerned I am giving him to much flouride with the water and vitamins combined?

Quoting new_mom808:

If he's still getting flourinated water, I would skip the flourinated vitamins. Is he using flourinated tooth paste?

lizzig
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 11:58 AM

no big deal?  what do you mean?  too much flouride isn't good for you.  it's proven to lead to thyroid issues.  where i grew up we had the highest flouride content in our water & the highest cases of thyroid issues.  in my family alone 3 of my parents six kids have thyroid issues, as does a nephew, my nieces husband & his ex, plus a few friends of mine.

Quoting ardiaxe:

megandwade
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:06 PM

This is what I'm worried about.. I know to much can also decay your teeth.. but how much is too much?

The nursery water says it contains .7 mg.. but i doesn't say if this is per serving or for the entire gallon. The vitamin he takes is .25 per dose... From the research I've done children between 1-3 are suppose to have between .7 as adequate intake and 1.3 mgs per day at the most.. As he drinks a few cups of water a day I'm not sure how much fluoride he is really getting.

We have 2 gallons of his water left. I think to be safe I may just switch to non-flouride water after we finish off these 2 gallons.

Quoting lizzig:

no big deal?  what do you mean?  too much flouride isn't good for you.  it's proven to lead to thyroid issues.  where i grew up we had the highest flouride content in our water & the highest cases of thyroid issues.  in my family alone 3 of my parents six kids have thyroid issues, as does a nephew, my nieces husband & his ex, plus a few friends of mine.

Quoting ardiaxe:

TigerofMu
by Sonja on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:51 PM

That sounds like the safest thing to do.  Especially as he gets older and you start thinking of switching toothpaste also.

Quoting megandwade:

This is what I'm worried about.. I know to much can also decay your teeth.. but how much is too much?

The nursery water says it contains .7 mg.. but i doesn't say if this is per serving or for the entire gallon. The vitamin he takes is .25 per dose... From the research I've done children between 1-3 are suppose to have between .7 as adequate intake and 1.3 mgs per day at the most.. As he drinks a few cups of water a day I'm not sure how much fluoride he is really getting.

We have 2 gallons of his water left. I think to be safe I may just switch to non-flouride water after we finish off these 2 gallons.

Quoting lizzig:

Quoting ardiaxe:

new_mom808
by Andrea on Apr. 5, 2013 at 10:15 AM

I would be. I would use one or the other.

Quoting megandwade:

His tooth paste is flouride free.. It's the safe to swallow kind as we have not mastered the spitting part yet. :)

What I'm wondering is should I be concerned I am giving him to much flouride with the water and vitamins combined?

Quoting new_mom808:

MusherMaggie
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 5:29 PM
We do not take Flouride internally--it's a poison. Also, have they done bloodwork to be sure he really needs the vitamins, or do they just automatically prescribe them?

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)