Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

My 10 ten year old son is overweight

Posted by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 7:53 AM
  • 13 Replies
My ten year old son is overweighted. My son has a learning disability also
Last year I forces him to play football .The reason I did that because I wanted him to lose weight.This year I want him to play again but he don't want to play. I am exercising with him at home an cooking healthier meals. If anyone has any helpful weight loss ideas for me to help with my son weight loss. Please share them.
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 7:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
auntangelofsix
by Angel on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:17 AM
Bump
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TerriC
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:51 AM

Try to limit TV and video game time.  Maybe start going for walks.  Do you have a Wii or other interactive gaming system?  There are some great games on Wii that get kids moving.

new_mom808
by Andrea on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:31 AM

I think if you force him to play a sport or exercise in a way that he doesnt like, then physical activity will have negative connotations for him for life. Are there any other sports he's interested in? What about karate, biking, or even nature hikes?
I dont know what his learning disabilites are, or what his school life is like, but he may prefer more individual sports, or even just a chance to interact with kids that he doesnt go to school with.

Our local metro parks have guided nature hikes for kids and for parents and kids all the time. Check out the website of your parks and rec department.

Changing the family diet is a great first step. What types of foods does he like? I may be able to share some recipes with you.

I agree with Terri, limiting television and video games forces them to find more active things to do. The Wii or Kinnect are great for winter, or rainy days.

TigerofMu
by Sonja on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:26 PM
Are there other sports he would rather play? Sounds like you are doing great at home!
LntLckrsCmQut
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 9:07 AM

Instead of forcing sports on him(which can backfire) I would suggest getting him outside more and letting natural play occur. Take him to the park and let him do what kids do naturally. Flying a kite is also a good way to get in a little excercise while having fun. Throwing a football, playing hoops, etc.

lizzig
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 9:47 AM

are there sports his interested in?  soccer, basketball, swimming, biking.  maybe getting him involved in another sport that he likes more will help.  get more outdoor time, not just for him but the whole family.  if everyone else is outside he might not protest so much.  definitely limit tv, computer & gaming time.

PrincessZ20
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 1:27 PM

I agree with the others, forcing him to play football may backfire.  Try some other sports, or just get the whole family outside for a daily walk after dinner, kick a ball around, etc. 

Having healthy snacks available and limiting the amount of junk in your house is good too, so there's less temptation.  Make sure he drinks plenty of water, and set a good example by having the whole family eat healthy foods. 

Good luck!!

MusherMaggie
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 5:26 PM
Cutting grain products and eliminating junk food, sodas and the like. Using good fats--avocado, coconut oil, real butter in things helps the body have energy and holds off hunger. Eat slowly so the brain has time to signal the body that it's full.
SAMI_JO
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 9:07 PM

Does he take any medications that would cause weight gain. My son gained 100lbs on Risperdal.

ScrChk23
by Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 11:11 AM
My son is on a similar path. My problem is that he spends half the week with his dad and I can't control what he eats there. My son has taken a HUGE liking to hockey. Maybe try another sport? Does he eat 'junk food' in his school lunches? What does he drink- milk, juice, pop, water?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)