Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

Ear PAIN!!!!!!! HELP!!!!

Posted by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 8:22 PM
  • 13 Replies
Hi, daughter is 13 years old, she has an ear infection. We went to the doctor, he chose not to give us meds for it. It was at urgent care so it wasn't our regular doc! Can anyone HELP with any ideas to ease the pain to get through the night???? She is in a lot of pain & I'm looking for ideas, preferably all natural!!! Please HELP!!!
by on Apr. 18, 2013 at 8:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
karamille
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 9:33 AM

That's too bad they wouldn't treat.  She's more of an adult than a child at that age, so the kids wait and see route wouldn't be appropriate in my opinion.  I had a really bad one two months ago that lasted for a month.  It took 3 rounds of antibiotics and 2 rounds of steroids.  They even gave me Rx pain meds in case I couldn't sleep.  =/  Best I can suggest is have her lay her ear on a warm towel or heating pad

Truluv4ever
by Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 10:08 AM
Thanks for you advice! We have been doing the warm towels & I got ear drops at the store that are suppose to help with pain, inflammation. I hope those work!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
PrincessZ20
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 10:49 AM

I agree, a heating pad or warm compress is what I use when I get an earache. 

I've heard good things about garlic oil as well!  Here's a little more info on it:  http://frugallysustainable.com/2011/10/natural-treatment-for-ear-infections/

Cafe AmyS
by Head Admin on Apr. 19, 2013 at 12:06 PM

I've heard that a few drops of warmed (to body temp, not hot) olive oil in the ear can help soothe the pain.  

Truluv4ever
by Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 1:00 PM
Thanks for the suggestions!
StephanAndCoral
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 1:04 PM
For my son I put rice in a a clean sock heat in the microwave until hot enough he can stand it about 1-2 mins then lay on side that ear hurts with sock under/ on that ear the steam should help.
Truluv4ever
by Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 1:49 PM
1 mom liked this
Ah, the rice sick! I love using rice socks, thanks for reminding me!

Quoting StephanAndCoral:

For my son I put rice in a a clean sock heat in the microwave until hot enough he can stand it about 1-2 mins then lay on side that ear hurts with sock under/ on that ear the steam should help.

Truluv4ever
by Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 1:50 PM
Ok, my cell is autocorrecting again I meant rice "sock"!

Quoting Truluv4ever:

Quoting StephanAndCoral:

StephanAndCoral
by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 8:34 PM
Lol I didn't notice until I read this :)

Quoting Truluv4ever:

Ok, my cell is autocorrecting again I meant rice "sock"!

Quoting Truluv4ever:

Quoting StephanAndCoral:

MusherMaggie
by Bronze Member on Apr. 20, 2013 at 4:01 PM
I once made ear drops by grinding mullein leaves up with a bit of, pure grain alcohol putting the misfits into a thin cloth and steeping it in olive oil. I removed the mullein leaf slurry and put the oil in a dropper bottle. You may be able to find mullein oil ear drops on line as well.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)