Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

Your Great Outdoor Adventure: National Parks Free All Week

Posted by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 12:23 PM
  • 11 Replies
1 mom liked this

http://redtri.com/national-park-free-admission-week/?utm_source=contactology&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=national-041913

With Earth Day rapidly approaching, few things can reaffirm our love for the outdoors like a day trip to a national park. And would you know it? There are over 400 national parks across the country, with at least one in every state. As if trading the sounds of car horns for crickets wasn’t enough to get you packing, how about this: from April 22-26, 2013 every national park is offering free admission! In honor of Earth Day and National Park Week, admissions fees are waived at over 400 national parks across the country. So grab your hiking boots and water bottles because there isn’t a better excuse to venture on an outdoor adventure at our country’s beautiful parks.

Which national park will you be visiting at the end of the month?

by on Apr. 20, 2013 at 12:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Vertical15

To kick off the start of National Park Week on April 20, participating parks are hosting a Junior Ranger Day. This free event is for kids ages 5-12 and asks intrepid explorers to complete a series of activities during their park visit and share their answers with a park ranger. Typical tasks include participating in a Ranger-led program, hiking on a park trail, and completing activities on various park resources, issues, and concepts such as: geology, park wildlife, and fire ecology. There’s no time limit either, so your budding naturalists are free to move at their own pace.

Vertical15

junior-ranger

After your rangers-in-training have finished, they’ll receive an official Junior Ranger badge or patch and a Junior Ranger certificate. It’s a great way to learn more about the national parks in your backyard and get your little ones excited about exploring the outdoors.

Vertical15

Due to recent budget cuts, many national parks have sought the efforts of volunteers to keep these natural landscapes preserved for future generations to enjoy. April 27th is Volunteer Day at many national parks and an amazing opportunity for you to make a difference in keeping these national parks open. Last year, more than 3,000 volunteers participated in events to help build and improve 80 miles of land and water trails. Many volunteers also discovered new park areas via hiking, bicycling, and kayaking. Your family could be the next Lewis and Clark! To find volunteer opportunities at a national park near you, click here.

Vertical15

junior-ranger-2

National Park Week is only here from April 20-28, 2013, so be start planning your trip while admission is still free.

batjmom
by Sarah on Apr. 20, 2013 at 2:44 PM
1 mom liked this
That's great. I didn't even know
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
PrincessZ20
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 12:54 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting Vertical15:

To kick off the start of National Park Week on April 20, participating parks are hosting a Junior Ranger Day. This free event is for kids ages 5-12 and asks intrepid explorers to complete a series of activities during their park visit and share their answers with a park ranger. Typical tasks include participating in a Ranger-led program, hiking on a park trail, and completing activities on various park resources, issues, and concepts such as: geology, park wildlife, and fire ecology. There’s no time limit either, so your budding naturalists are free to move at their own pace.

What a fun idea! I'll have to see if they have any of those programs close to us!

alf2651
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 1:05 PM

I'm thinking about Shenendoah National Park, since it's about 40 minutes away. I've been wanting to take DD there this year anyway!

CafeMom Tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Vertical15
by on Apr. 21, 2013 at 2:17 PM

We love going there, too!  Before our last two son's were born my husband and I did a camping trip at Skyline Drive and hiked about 15 miles over the weekend.  It was beautiful!

Quoting alf2651:

I'm thinking about Shenendoah National Park, since it's about 40 minutes away. I've been wanting to take DD there this year anyway!

TigerofMu
by Sonja on Apr. 24, 2013 at 7:03 AM
1 mom liked this

This might be a good time to plan next year's vacation around this week, and head to Yellowstone!  Or Grand Teton, both of which are National Parks in Wyoming.

Vertical15
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 11:48 AM
1 mom liked this

That is a really good idea.  I always forget about this week until its upon us!

Quoting TigerofMu:

This might be a good time to plan next year's vacation around this week, and head to Yellowstone!  Or Grand Teton, both of which are National Parks in Wyoming.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN