Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

bathroom issues (too much info?) is this normal?

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:15 AM
  • 13 Replies
how many times does your child go?
my dd is an active, healthy 4 yr old. a bit on the tall side, average weight. no medical issues. but she only uses the bathroom once a day--and can be in there for 30 minutes.
I've tried to get her to sit on the john in the morning when she awakens, bury short of trying her down nothing.
today is a typical day. she was on the commode @ 8:20 to 8:45 last night and here it is 11am and she has yet to use it again. she has swimming so i know that the 1/2 mile walk to the school plus the 45 minute session will have her ready to use it afterwards and she might use it again before bed. but swimming is once a week.
she drinks 16oz of water during the day, does nite eat proceased foods, does not complain of anything but "being itchy" in her groin area. The doctor has found no infections or rashes. nor are her pants too tight.
she does not wet herself or have accidents.
is this normal?
i grew up with a bathroom schedule, so im not sure what is normal anymore.
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TigerofMu
by Sonja on Apr. 30, 2013 at 3:15 PM

It doesn't sound  like enough, but it also doesn't sound like she has any difficulties, other than it takes her a very long time to go when she does go.  Maybe she just has a really huge bladder capacity? 

How much does she weigh?  They say the rule of thumb is half the body weight in ounces...so if she weighed 35 pounds, 17-18 ounces...not sure if that is exact for kids also though.

MusherMaggie
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2013 at 2:45 PM
She's not drinking enough fluid. Aim for half her weight in ounces.
TerriC
by on May. 1, 2013 at 3:20 PM
It doesn't seem like enough to me. I agree, have her drink more water. If it doesn't change, I'd consult with a Dr.
new_mom808
by Andrea on May. 1, 2013 at 4:21 PM

I would push more fluids.

elizabooks
by on May. 1, 2013 at 7:34 PM
so she needs to be drinking 22lbs of liquid a day? she is 45 lbs and 3 ft 7 in.
seems like she would be drinking all the time.....
elizabooks
by on May. 1, 2013 at 7:35 PM
oh wait that was in ounces. sorry.
TigerofMu
by Sonja on May. 2, 2013 at 9:15 AM

The first time I ever saw that it confused me too :).  Yep, 22-23 ounces (or 22.5 if you want to be really picky) ;).

Quoting elizabooks:

oh wait that was in ounces. sorry.

karamille
by on May. 3, 2013 at 1:30 AM
2 moms liked this

Wait... are we talking peeing or pooping?  Pooping 1x a day sounds fine.  Peeing.. no way!  She needs to be drinking enough to be peeing every 4 hours or so.  I see 22.5oz quoted above me, but htat doesn't sound like enough to me.  I would think around 30 oz a day would be ideal.  .  Really its not that much.  Its a glass with each of your 3 meals, plus another 6oz spread out throughout the day.  And in the summer... even more than that to make up for what she sweats off.    

PrincessZ20
by on May. 3, 2013 at 10:02 AM

I agree with the others - up her fluid intake! 

Mipsy
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2013 at 10:58 PM
Yeah, she needs more fluid. My son only weighs 42lbs and is 43" and his minimum daily fluid requirement is 45oz. It's been calculated by his nutritionist and gi. They do it by weight.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN