Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

Milk? Whole, 2%, Organic, or Lactaid?

Posted by on May. 1, 2013 at 11:51 AM
  • 9 Replies

I took my 9 month old for his check up yesterday. The dr told me I should start adding 2oz of milk to bottle of formula. Well, I don't really drink milk, and my husband is lactose intolerant so all we really keep in the house is Lactaid, Which to me tastes just like whole milk. My question is, Is it ok to give him Lactaid? or should i go buy him his own milk. A plus to using Lactaid is it doesn't go bad for months! and it is about the same price as a regular gallon of milk. I just want to make sure that he's getting the calcium and all the other good stuff that is in regular milk.

Does anyone else use Lactaid in their toddler's bottles?

by on May. 1, 2013 at 11:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
frndlyfn
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2013 at 11:56 AM
2 moms liked this

Why does the doctor want to start milk so early?  Many (if not most) say to wait until after a year to start.  If you are worried about calcium, the whole milk baby yogurt has that as well as many veggies.

MommyT642
by on May. 1, 2013 at 12:02 PM

I think she wants to start him early bc of his size. He is already 20 lbs and 30" tall. He eats really good on solid foods as well as formula.

Decemberlov
by on May. 1, 2013 at 1:42 PM

maybe things have changed since mine our now 10 & 14...I was told to start them off on whole mike (we always use organic) Now we do 2% organic milk.

I just looked and they do have a calcium enriched lactaid milk...I would compare the calcium to that of the organic milk...if it was the same seems the lactaid milk should be fine.

letstalk747
by on May. 1, 2013 at 10:54 PM

whole

TigerofMu
by Sonja on May. 2, 2013 at 9:19 AM
1 mom liked this

I would ask the doctor before I started putting Lactaid in bottles.  Just buy a pint or quart of whole milk if you're worried about not using it all before it goes bad.

ScrChk23
by Member on May. 2, 2013 at 5:15 PM
He should have the whole milk. It is not the taste the doctor cares about, it is the vitamins and the fat. We kept the boys on whole under they were two.
SentRegards
by on May. 14, 2013 at 12:21 PM
I drink soy and almond milk, there's more calcium in it if that helps

I had a friend in California whos 2 year old drunk milk like water and he started to grow arm pit hair... the doc said it was all the hormones cows are fed and she switched to soy milk
new_mom808
by Andrea on May. 15, 2013 at 7:49 PM

Why? We didnt do milk until he was over 1 and even then we kept (and still keep) it pretty limited. We like almond milk sometimes too.

PrincessZ20
by on May. 16, 2013 at 2:32 PM
If your DH is lactose intolerant, I'd hold off of giving milk until closer to a year, just in case your son is as well.

However, he should be fine on formula until at least a year, it has everything he needs and more than he could possibly be getting from milk. Even after a year, he can get the fats and calcium from sources other than milk.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)