Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

Hyper Son

Posted by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 1:01 PM
  • 6 Replies

Hi moms,

I have a 5 yr old who has not been diagnosed with ADD or ADHD, but i feel like he is on the border or something. He is adopted and we do not know what happen the first 22months of his life. I feel like drug exposure was a problem. But I will not get into that right now.

We just started do day the peaceful child blend through DoTerra. Im excited to see if it helps him focus and calm down.

I never what to put a label on my son or any child. So i am hoping we get a lot of this under control before school starts again.

Are any other moms dealing with attitide and hyper kids?

by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 1:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
sammyreymom
by Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 7:23 AM

We deal with hyperness.  We have been diagnosed with a mild ADHD.  We ended up starting with a Behaviorist doctor.  We were every two weeks and she would sit down and in a playing setting discuss why my dd does what she does, how she could have done things differently.  We saw an immediate changed on some hyperness.  It has been a long road though, we have regressions and we did end up on a really low dosage of a med.  Attitude, yeah, that I'm seeing in all the kids unfortuantely, but that is one of the things that we address during our sessions.  Another thing, we started to get my dd involved in things she was interested.  We introduced her to tennis a year ago and have done several sessions, which in a group she needs to listen and learn teamwork.  We also have put her in swimming it is individual, but again, they are in a class so she is working on her listening skills and attention.  Good luck!

TigerofMu
by Sonja on Jun. 22, 2013 at 10:34 AM

Our grown son is ADHD, my husband is ADHD, and our 11 year old daughter is absolutely ADHD, though we have chosen to work with her ourselves rather than a diagnosis.  I do believe that nutritional and herbal supplements can be of help.  I have also noticed that caffeine and things like benadryl affect them differently than they would me.  If she is totally crazy, a cup of coffee can go a long way toward making our school day a success. 

At five years old, boys are normally very active, and hopefully he will have a teacher who is understanding of that.  Also, teach him coping mechanisms.  Sometimes ADHD kids can be focused through a variety of measures.  Having a "fidget" in their hands so their brains can focus on listening (a squeeze ball makes a good one), having a rubber band/tie/hose  at the base of his chair to give him some resistance, a weighted vest or sock, sometimes a therapy cushion...but you may or may  not be able to use these things at school.  If you provide the materials and his teacher will work with you, then you shouldn't have any troubles.  One of the best ways to make your case is to document his behavior throughout.  If you rely on the school to provide the materials then you will have to take him through the "labeling" channels, because the OT or PT cannot legally provide services for a child who has not been identified and placed on an IEP (or whatever it is called in your area). 

R-Eden
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 2:13 PM

Thanks Ladies! He is on an IEP now. and just to give an update, the peaceful child blend is working amazingly!! LOVE IT

bubblemama2164
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 3:10 PM

i try to keep a structured enviorment for my ds who is also 5 it worked well while he was in school so i am going to try to keep it up to see if it helps him now his father and i had adhd when we were little i am hoping my ds doesnt though

Beth (10-2-82) Christian (3-20-08) Ethan(4-9-13)

God helps us provide for our needs. May God Bless You and Your Family Each and Everyday!!!

Vertical15
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 12:46 PM

I haven't dealt with it personally but my brother has with his son. They have to medicate him due to other health problems.  They try to keep him on a regular routine/schedule and keep him veery active.  He doesn't sleep much.  He was also adopted but they've had him since birth though the birth mother didn't have proper prgenancy care.

new_mom808
by Andrea on Jul. 1, 2013 at 7:13 PM

What is in the blend?
We use oils for all sorts of things here. We've tried just lavender with some success, and I've considered buying sandlewood to see if it helps. I cant find the blend on their website.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)