Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

i have 4 kids i want another child but money has been tight but i feel like it is like that probably with everyone now days

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 10:55 PM
  • 11 Replies
the good thing is i still got all my baby stuff and i would not have to buy a lot and there is a thing i go to like class where they how u get diapers and wipes and i would have to get a infant car seat i was planning getting pregnant in march having the baby in december what do u ya'll think?
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 10:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Vertical15
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 12:36 PM

You have to decide if you can do it or not.

I really want 5 and currently have three.  We can't afford a bigger home or a minivan right now so we are just trying to may off debt and get to a stronger financial place right now.  Its tough!

The first year isn't really that expensive if you breastfeed, cloth diaper, etc.  You can make it cheap!  All those things they say you need for baby gear you don't really need.  Think about 100 years ago-they didn't have all that stuff!

Mom2jngnc
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 10:20 AM
1 mom liked this

I think the bigger thing is:

-Sleeping, do you have a place to set up the crib? 

-Car, can you fit an infant car seat, then a convertable, and so on without compromising the safety of your other children? I had to trade in my mini-van for a second full size SUV when my niece moved in. I was taking my 10 yr old of his booster, because with all of us in the van, I couldn't get the 14 yr old in between two boosters. (my children booster until the seatbelt fits them correctly, I know this makes me an odditiy) 

-Will you be able to/are you willing to breast feed? Or are you going to be in the position of relying on WIC for formula (remember they only supplement, they don't supply all).

-Are you able to plan ahead to get a stash of cloth if that is the route you choose or are you able to wedge disposable diapers in your budget? If you plan on using "store brand", would you be able to wedge in "better" ones should your child be allergic to them?

-Co=pays with health insurance? extra drives to the Dr's? fuel costs.....

I know I am a Debbie Downer, but I was in the same shoes 6 yrs ago..... we wanted one more, but I had to work it all out..... 

TigerofMu
by Sonja on Jun. 28, 2013 at 12:23 PM

I'm pretty impressed by your ability to schedule conception and birth :).  I would love to have more kids, so I'm the last person to say anything negative!  I would make sure your husband is on board if there are conscious steps that you need to take in order to try for another baby.  If there aren't conscious steps, then obviously he's not against having another baby or you'd be trying not to do so!

new_mom808
by Andrea on Jul. 1, 2013 at 7:21 PM

You could cloth diaper and breastfeed and that cuts costs down dramaticallly.
I guess I dont know how tight money is. The thing is most people spend what they have, and there never seems to be "extra" but then when the need arises there is enough. Budgets change with our priorities.

pegerik6
by Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 1:11 PM

I have 4 kids and after my 4th was born I toyed witht idea of a 5th. We just didn't have the extra money. I tried to figure out a way but  it just wouldn't work out. Fast forwarded to 11 years later. Thank God we didn't have a 5th. My husband is now working 3 parttime jobs, ( lost his full time job in Jan 09) our 3rd has type 1 diabetes and my 21 and 20 year old live at home still because they can't afford to live on there own. They cost more to raise now then they ever did when they were babies. Just my story...

musicNcaffeine
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 1:14 PM

Do you want to raise another child, or do you just want another baby? 

Don't do it if you can't honestly afford. I know there is no ideal time to have a baby, but if you struggle to manage the 4 you have, don't add to it.

2-point-doe
by Bronze Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 2:17 PM

I agree with this. Money is not tight for me and I could easily afford more kids but why would I? I have a son and a daughter. Instead of more kids we are retiring in 8.5 years just before the youngest starts high school.

Quoting musicNcaffeine:

Do you want to raise another child, or do you just want another baby? 

Don't do it if you can't honestly afford. I know there is no ideal time to have a baby, but if you struggle to manage the 4 you have, don't add to it.

fivegirls333
by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 10:20 AM
1 mom liked this

who cares!  once you have more than two?...you have everything you need and one more pb&j isn't going to make or break you.  i would just make sure they all know right up front...study your asses off because each and every one of you has to earn college on your own!!!

dorothycapalit
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 10:40 AM

How old are your kids?  Would the fifth baby have siblings close enough in age to have playmates?

I think that when your kids are grown they will never regret having another brother or sister..  

Some parents limit themselves to  2 children because they want to give their kids "everything"

when my sister was I high school she was telling our Mom that she didn't have as many nice clothes as her 

friends.  When my Mom asked her if she would rather have the clothes or her little sisters and brothers , she said she would rather have her sisters and brothers.

And your grand kids are more likely to have cousins to play with.

Shondayz
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 4:31 PM

Babies are always a blessing.  What do your kids think?  Have you looked at legit work from home companies that would allow you to add income to the household?  I just started referring people to shop at an online manufacturer and I am adding quite a bit of income to my household.  Maybe you could refer a few people and start making money too.  I can show you how it works if you are interested.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)