Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

Cleft Palate Surgery?

Posted by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 9:35 PM
  • 5 Replies

My 2 1/2 yr old son has recently been diagnosed with submucous cleft palate. It has been recommended that we do surgery to repair the cleft due to speech issues. It does not affect him in any other way other than the understanding of his speech. I'm a bit nervous. Although I do not want him to go through life unable to speak clearly, I'm afraid the surgery maybe unnecessary? I was just wondering if anyone else has had experience or knowledge of this procedure?

by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 9:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
auntangelofsix
by Angel on Sep. 12, 2013 at 11:48 PM
My baby boy who will be 2 yr old in Dec he was born with a cleft lip and at 4 month old he had surg for it and also beinging tied..
jmp1279
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 11:52 PM

my dh has had 3 cleft pallet surgeries.  one at like 2, one at 16, and the last one he was 32.  the way i understood it was they "shave" a thin layer of skin from the back of your mouth and flip it over the hole. 

Cafe AmyS
by Head Admin on Sep. 19, 2013 at 8:40 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't have any experience with this, but it might be worth asking your questions on the Raising Special Needs Kids group.

karamille
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 5:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Hello!  Hey I have a kiddo with a palate issue.  Definitely do the surgery.  The younger you do it the better.  They learn so many bad speech habits to work around with their palate issues that they have to do lots of speech afterwards to unlearn those bad habits.  Do it before he picks up more work-arounds.  

TigerofMu
by Sonja on Sep. 24, 2013 at 10:19 AM

I have no experience with this, but if surgery is essential, I would reccommend that you have it done now, rather than wait.  I like karamille's advice!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN