Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

Healthy snacks

Posted by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 4:32 PM
  • 11 Replies

ok, here's the scoop.  I take care of my mother, she has some health problems and cannot live on her own.  she has diabetes and to make things easier on me I cook diabetic  friendly meals for everyone.  My three kids (8, 7, and 2) have no problem with the food however we are very tight on money so I can't buy a lot of extras for my 2 year old i.e. snacky food. He eats 4 small meals a day and I am running low on ideas of what to give him.  We eat minimal processed food  any ideas would be helpful. 

by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 4:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Bronze Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 5:42 PM

Keep with fresh fruits and veggies.  Homemade cookies or snacks would be nice as well.   No one needs junk food so a treat could be baking your own desserts or what not.

AimeeE
by Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 5:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Along with fresh fruit and veggies you could also do air popped popcorn with a bit of sea salt. Super cheap and very tasty. :)

new_mom808
by Andrea on Sep. 21, 2013 at 11:10 PM
2 moms liked this

Like others fresh fruit and veggies are always a given. You can cut them, pair them, arrange them in all sorts of interesting "new" ways. Fruit kabobs, using cookie cutters to cut up fruit and to make things like fried eggs or pancakes.

I cant find it now, but I stole an idea from somewhere on Pinterest where I made a "flower" by cutting cheese into triangles, placing them in a circle, filling the circle w/ grapes, then using celery for the "stem". DS thought it was great fun!

Granola is another good one. This is a great recipe for a large quantity of granola. It's obviously less expesive if you skip the nuts. http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/2010/04/04/recipe-granola-bars-cereal/

We like to puree fruit and certain veggies that are about to turn and make popcicles out of it.
Blueberries dipped in vanilla yogurt and frozen.
bananas (halved) dipped in yogurt then rolled in granola and frozen on a stick.
Smear PB on a whole wheat tortilla, roll up a banana and cut it in half.

This site has some really cute ideas too:
http://weelicious.com/toddler-recipes/

ScrChk23
by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 1:19 PM

Cukes and ranch dressing

ScrChk23
by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 1:19 PM

celery and peanut butter

ScrChk23
by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 1:20 PM

raisins

ScrChk23
by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 1:20 PM

bananas

sfgh82
by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 8:08 PM

My kids like to eat popcorn and yogurt.

TigerofMu
by Sonja on Sep. 24, 2013 at 10:16 AM
1 mom liked this

We are mostly fruit, yogurt, popcorn sort of people for snacks.  Carrots, sometimes I buy the peanut butter or cheese sandwich crackers, string cheese...

Gruma
by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 3:43 PM

Apple slices with peanut butter, baked apples with rasins and cinnamon, cheese on toast are some of our kids favorites. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)