Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

ADHD Natural Supplements

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2013 at 9:43 PM
  • 7 Replies
Hello! My DD is turning 8 next month. She is on the Spectrum, has ADHD and Anxiety. She is out of medicine, Concerta 54mg. What is a natural supplement that has helped other children.. We tried, True Calm and Mountain Dew. Neither worked.. A friend suggested Attend... I will look for that at the natural grocers the next time I go.. Would love some feedback!
by on Oct. 12, 2013 at 9:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
TigerofMu
by Sonja on Oct. 13, 2013 at 9:28 AM

I haven't dealt with those.  It is good to know that they are out there!  With my 11 year old who shows ADHD tendencies, and with my son, who is now 28, we tried a cup of coffee in the morning and a cup at lunch.  It really seems to help calm them down, without the zombie side effects of most meds I've seen.  They both seem to have opposite reactions to medications than most people - for instance, my DD needs Benadryl on a regular basis because she breaks out a lot.  Instead of knocking her out like it does to all the rest of my kids, and me, she gets hyper!  Caffeine seems to affect her the opposite way.

We also saw a huge change in David when changes were made to his diet as a kid.

ScrChk23
by on Oct. 13, 2013 at 1:59 PM

I do not know, but I am interested.  My son's father does not want to medicate him.  I only want to do what is best for him.  I would like to try natural remedies first.  I know his father is not willing to change his diet.

TigerofMu
by Sonja on Oct. 14, 2013 at 12:30 AM

That does make it much more difficult.  Do you live in separate houses?  I wonder if you could change his diet when he is with you and document anything that you see.  If you had a behavior journal going with his teachers in order to keep track of his progress you could see if there were any changes.  Not leading them to answer, just observing...if there are observable differences, that might help to convince him...especially if he doesn't want to medicate but your son is struggling.

Quoting ScrChk23:

I do not know, but I am interested.  My son's father does not want to medicate him.  I only want to do what is best for him.  I would like to try natural remedies first.  I know his father is not willing to change his diet.

ScrChk23
by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 9:18 AM

Yes.  We are divorced. We do not go out to eat very often and hardly drink pop at home.  I know that his dad takes him out to eat frequently.  I have tried explaining the idea of limiting processed foods and making more meals at home, but it doesn't sink in.  His behavior almost got him kicked off the bus, but his dad still doesn't think there is a problem.  We started putting him to bed earlier at our house and it seems to help.  It took me about a month or so to convince his dad to put him in bed earlier.  

Quoting TigerofMu:

That does make it much more difficult.  Do you live in separate houses?  I wonder if you could change his diet when he is with you and document anything that you see.  If you had a behavior journal going with his teachers in order to keep track of his progress you could see if there were any changes.  Not leading them to answer, just observing...if there are observable differences, that might help to convince him...especially if he doesn't want to medicate but your son is struggling.

Quoting ScrChk23:

AromaDrops33
by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 9:20 AM
1 mom liked this
Essential oils work well for ADD/ADHD
TigerofMu
by Sonja on Oct. 14, 2013 at 11:36 AM

That does make it tough.  Do you communicate well?  If not, you might try keeping a log that travels back and forth with your son.  If so, make sure you stick to observations, strictly observations and facts.  He ate this, this, and this, and he got a good report in school, etc.

Quoting ScrChk23:

Yes.  We are divorced. We do not go out to eat very often and hardly drink pop at home.  I know that his dad takes him out to eat frequently.  I have tried explaining the idea of limiting processed foods and making more meals at home, but it doesn't sink in.  His behavior almost got him kicked off the bus, but his dad still doesn't think there is a problem.  We started putting him to bed earlier at our house and it seems to help.  It took me about a month or so to convince his dad to put him in bed earlier.  

Quoting TigerofMu:

Quoting ScrChk23:

letstalk747
by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 11:49 PM
1 mom liked this

try caffiene , dont have to be coffee

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN