Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

One food you give your child that you feel is good for their health?

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2014 at 9:51 PM
  • 9 Replies

I make homemade yogurt.  About a month ago, I started to make water kefir, this was suggested by an herbalist to me, it is supposed to be loaded with probiotics....

What food do you try to give your child for their good health?  Please share your ideas...

by on Apr. 23, 2014 at 9:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
skitmom
by on Apr. 23, 2014 at 11:31 PM

well we eat a lot of veggies in our house. Ihave to fight to get the bussel sprouts lol.  they love them.

TigerofMu
by Sonja on Apr. 24, 2014 at 9:58 AM

Fruits and veggies.  How do you make homemade yogurt?

auntangelofsix
by Angel on Apr. 24, 2014 at 10:06 AM
Fruits he love Apple n grapes n bananas.
zannahdeux
by on Apr. 24, 2014 at 8:39 PM

Avocado

athorne
by Member on Apr. 25, 2014 at 8:34 AM
My daughter loves bananas.:)
stayathome510
by on Apr. 27, 2014 at 1:01 PM
1 mom liked this

First I will tell you, when I started I used a candy thermometer, but now I am so comfortable in making I don't use any at all!  I just heat milk on stove until 180 degrees (it takes about 40 mn, I heat it up, then turn down and stir rarely...now I just heat it until its too hot for my pinky finger to touch).  This will most likely leave a light milk film on top of milk.  Then I take off of stove, stir, and leave until it reaches about 100-110 degrees (it will be warm to touch with finger and will not be too hot) this takes about 1 1/2 hours, but you can speed this up by placing pan in cold water.  Then I stir together about a cup of plain yogurt and the milk into a large glass bowl and cover and wrap in bath towel for 8-10 hours and whoola. 

PS> Yogurt has to have fat in it...no fat free, and must not be flavored...

Quoting TigerofMu:

TigerofMu
by Sonja on Apr. 27, 2014 at 9:34 PM
1 mom liked this

Thanks!

Quoting stayathome510:

First I will tell you, when I started I used a candy thermometer, but now I am so comfortable in making I don't use any at all!  I just heat milk on stove until 180 degrees (it takes about 40 mn, I heat it up, then turn down and stir rarely...now I just heat it until its too hot for my pinky finger to touch).  This will most likely leave a light milk film on top of milk.  Then I take off of stove, stir, and leave until it reaches about 100-110 degrees (it will be warm to touch with finger and will not be too hot) this takes about 1 1/2 hours, but you can speed this up by placing pan in cold water.  Then I stir together about a cup of plain yogurt and the milk into a large glass bowl and cover and wrap in bath towel for 8-10 hours and whoola. 

PS> Yogurt has to have fat in it...no fat free, and must not be flavored...

Quoting TigerofMu:

Lizzy0022
by on Apr. 28, 2014 at 10:49 PM
1 mom liked this
I make pancakes and add spinach to it in the blender. Started it to make green pancakes for saint Patrick's day, but my son loved them so much I make them all the time now. They freeze well too. I can add a whole bunch of spinach to it and it still tastes fine. I also sometimes make my pancakes out of oatmeal for added nutrition but also do pancake mix.
Oatmeal recipe-
1 1/4 cup oats
1 cup flour
1 Tablespoon baking soda
A pinch of salt
3 eggs
2 1/4 cup milk or buttermilk (I use skim)
A little water if needed to get the right consistancy you like.
I mix it all in a blender then add in a big handful of spinach and let it sit for 15 minutes to soften the oats a little. Then make like typical pancakes top with bananas, strawberries, or syrup. My son wi also eat them plain and sometimes I'll put the bananas in the blender too.
stayathome510
by on Apr. 29, 2014 at 1:26 PM

Thanks so much for sharing...btw, interesting article I ran into while reading a consumer reports magazine at the library one day.  It talked about the caramel coloring added to syrup, pop, etc..even soy sauce.  How this coloring is known to cause cancer and this is in syrup...I am not one to go overboard on things but I do try, within my budget to stay away from the bad stuff.....

Quoting Lizzy0022: I make pancakes and add spinach to it in the blender. Started it to make green pancakes for saint Patrick's day, but my son loved them so much I make them all the time now. They freeze well too. I can add a whole bunch of spinach to it and it still tastes fine. I also sometimes make my pancakes out of oatmeal for added nutrition but also do pancake mix. Oatmeal recipe- 1 1/4 cup oats 1 cup flour 1 Tablespoon baking soda A pinch of salt 3 eggs 2 1/4 cup milk or buttermilk (I use skim) A little water if needed to get the right consistancy you like. I mix it all in a blender then add in a big handful of spinach and let it sit for 15 minutes to soften the oats a little. Then make like typical pancakes top with bananas, strawberries, or syrup. My son wi also eat them plain and sometimes I'll put the bananas in the blender too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)