Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids' Health Kids' Health

Allergies

Posted by on Jul. 15, 2014 at 11:18 AM
  • 13 Replies

My 6 yr old is on her 2nd prescribed allergy med and it doesn't help her at all. It is supposed to make you drowsy and it takes her for ever to go to bed but hard to wake up. I thought when you took allergy meds it helps with your symptoms so you are not sneezing so much or whatever? She sneezes all day long. I called her Dr and they want to switch her to something else. I don't want her to be so super medicated that she can't function. I don't know what else to try. I don't know what to do for her. Any suggestions? Even natural. She has been on Claritin, Zyrtec, Allegra, and Xytol and of course all these meds were in generic form.

by on Jul. 15, 2014 at 11:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
auntangelofsix
by Angel on Jul. 15, 2014 at 11:41 AM
My boys have seasonal Allergies all year long and they are on montelukast for it.
Cafe AmyS
by Head Admin on Jul. 16, 2014 at 4:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Have you tried giving her local honey?  It's supposed to help with environmental allergies.

ascmyworld
by Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 10:37 AM

Is this a prescription?

Quoting auntangelofsix: My boys have seasonal Allergies all year long and they are on montelukast for it.

ascmyworld
by Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 10:38 AM
1 mom liked this

No I forget about honey. I will have to remember next time I go to the Farmer's Market. Thanks

Quoting Cafe AmyS:

Have you tried giving her local honey?  It's supposed to help with environmental allergies.

auntangelofsix
by Angel on Jul. 17, 2014 at 2:43 PM
Yes from there Dr. Office

Quoting ascmyworld:

Is this a prescription?

Quoting auntangelofsix: My boys have seasonal Allergies all year long and they are on montelukast for it.

ScrChk23
by on Jul. 18, 2014 at 7:10 AM
What is she allergic to? It may be something that the meds are not strong enough to help. Not all allergy meds make you drowsy. Have you tried benedryl?
MusherMaggie
by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 6:08 PM
She needs to be seen by a pediatric allergist. Shots may be the way to go.
MusherMaggie
by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 6:09 PM
It's generic Singulair.

Quoting auntangelofsix: Yes from there Dr. Office

Quoting ascmyworld:

Is this a prescription?

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

ascmyworld
by Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 3:56 PM

Her tests came up positve for a potting soil mold(not sure of the name) and I believe trees. I have not tried benedryl.

Quoting ScrChk23: What is she allergic to? It may be something that the meds are not strong enough to help. Not all allergy meds make you drowsy. Have you tried benedryl?

ascmyworld
by Member on Jul. 19, 2014 at 3:57 PM

she does go to an allergy and asthma place.

Quoting MusherMaggie: She needs to be seen by a pediatric allergist. Shots may be the way to go.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN