Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Introduce yourself!

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:06 PM
  • 19 Replies
  • 643 Total Views

I will start with my introduction, feel free to add yours to this post. =) 

Hello ladies! My name is Shari, I am 21 years old and I have a daughter named Adele who is 3. Adele uses sign langauge as well. =) I am fluent in sign language. I learned in highschool to communicate with friends who were deaf in ROTC. I have loved the language ever since.

I do ASL vlogs on youtube, which you can find at this link: www.youtube.com/catwalksymphony

If anyone needs some help with learning to sign or practicing sign language feel free to ask me any questions, I will be adminning this group along with Tricey. =)

(I Mostly use SEE to communicate because the deaf I associate with prefer it, so my ASL is a little rocky. For those of you that do not know the difference SEE is "signing exact english" The signs are similar or the same as ASL signs, just in english word order instead of ASL grammar)

by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 9:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ky_mamaof4
by on Jul. 5, 2010 at 1:27 PM

My name is Kyra. A little about myself and why I joined this group.

I am a SAHM and full time student. I have 4 children; Michael is 8, Avery is 6, Hannah is 5 and Bryson is 20 months. Bryson does not talk and has been in ST since March and still has made no progress. Our SLP just informed us that she knows he has Apraxia but will not dx until he turns two. So we are continuing with ST until he starts preschool then he will be in a special education class for his Apraxia. She says that we need to start teaching him sign. I took an intro class to sign about 3 or 4 yrs ago but am struggling to remember it all. I have always loved watching people sign, to me it like listening to someone sing! 

SO...that is why I am here for support and help to learn sign. I do plan on taking a signing class again but until then I am on my own.

God Bless 

Kyra

catwalksymphony
by on Jul. 11, 2010 at 10:18 PM

Wow, it's got to be a struggle to be thrown back into sign langauge so suddenly out of necessity instead of convenience.

I agree, I love sign language, it is easily the most expressive langauge in the US. It is one of the most aesthetically appealing languages to watch (for me at least). Though I am saddened by your need to learn the langauge, I would like to welcome you into our little ASL community and am more than happy to help you learn if you like.

lalalabanana
by on Jul. 13, 2010 at 5:22 PM

Oh, I like your vlog, catwalk! My biggest problem with signing is having eyes fast enough to see what the other person is saying to me. I think it's a concentration thing, but I need to get better at it. 

unicorncjk
by New Member on Jul. 28, 2010 at 10:10 PM

Hi, Im Carlene.   I love sign language, actually so much that I went to college for it.  I went to school for interpreting, but now I use it in the mental health field.  At work I go to the local hearing and deaf services center so I am able to keep up my skills. I love the language and have known it since first grade (few years ago). 

annaica
by New Member on Jul. 30, 2010 at 2:26 PM
my name is lucy. my son was diagnosed with apraxia of speech at just over a year old and i learned several signs then to communicate better with him. i took a semester of asl in college and it is a very hard language to learn but also very interesting and beautiful. i want to learn more. i have a 6 month old now and am going to begin teaching her signs.
rocker_mommy_08
by on Jul. 30, 2010 at 8:15 PM

Hi there!!

My name is Shawna. Im a 24 y/o Stay at home mom to my 2 1/2 year old son, Corbin. I started using ASL initally in college where my major was Sign Language INterp. I became friends with a Deaf woman who I am wonderful friends with and obviously through our friendship I continued to use ASL and pick up on it more and decided to use it with my son so he could communicate with his Aunt and her husband and daughter. Little did I know, that my son using ASL would be his primary language. He has horrible muscle tone in his face (well...his whole body actually) making it difficult for him to form words. Because of this he would get aggrivated and hurt himself by punching his face, slamming his head into walls, intentionally smacking his head on the floor. I started upping the amount of ASL we were using with his and we have greatly reduced the SI. He's 14m speech delayed (understands everything at age level, but expression...). I feel that ASL is a beautiful language and am very glad that I was able to teach it to my son <3

~*~Shawna~*~
A sign language using, front facing, no more shots, anti-leash (leashes are for dogs...not kids), pro-circ-ing, pitbull owning, pierced, tattooed, Proud mama to Corbin Sage (1/3/08). A happy loved little monster

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

"To love is to be vulnerable." — C.S. Lewis
You Are Not Alone--TWLOHA

smilingmama
by New Member on Jul. 31, 2010 at 5:10 PM

Hello, My name is Christy. I am a 35yo SAHM with 2 children. I have always thought ASL is a beautiful language. I have taken classes in college, and community classes offered locally by a HH/Deaf couple. I have been teaching myself at home which seems to be working best except for the lack of someone to practice with. I am fortunate enough to have a deaf SIL that I get to see on occasion so I can practice with her several times a year. (still not enough practice for me tho)

I am teaching my children ASL. It is second nature to them. My youngest has had some speech delay. ASL has become a valuable tool to help our family to understand each other.

I have been diagnosed with Menieres Disease which includes episodes of hearing loss that over time becomes permanent. The prospect of permanent hearing loss is stressful but not overwhelming because I know and have seen full, content, beautiful lives lived in the deaf world. Until then we live happy lives, continue to practice ASL and rock the closed caption.

ASL is such a valuable and beautiful tool that is helping our family. I just need to get better at it.

WanziesMommie
by New Member on Aug. 1, 2010 at 7:42 PM

Hello There!! My name is Lenzi and I have a13 yr old boy....we are from California (SoCal)!  I am currently working at one of the school districts here, so far for about 5 yrs....at a high school.  I enjoy working with h.s. students.  I am also in college my major is ASL.....interpreting! I have taken classes at my church as well....it is extremely fun to me, I wasn't even aware that their was such thing on CM but now that I know I am excited to be apart of your world.   

Very few of my students use sign language, but for those that do, I am thankful that I have learned alot..... wink  ladybug

RockinMama0608
by on Aug. 17, 2010 at 7:51 PM

Hello :)

My name is Michelle and I am currently a SAHM.  I have been married for 5 years and together, we have two children.  My oldest, William is 4 years old and he is deaf.  My youngest, Jacob, is 2 and does not have a hearing impairment.

I am joining this group because I need, and want, to learn sign language.  I have been requesting a class but there are not any offered in my area.  Will has been deaf since age two, but was born with hearing loss.  He has the Cochlear Implants, but they are not working well for him.  We wanted to give him the best.  We are still working with the implants, but want to learn sign as backup.

I know some basic words and phrases, but I would like to increase my vocabulary!! 

Looking forward to chatting with you ladies!!

busymom3910
by New Member on Aug. 25, 2010 at 7:29 PM

Hi my name is April and I'm a SAHM with 3 children. Forrest is 15, Ella is 3 and Bayleigh is 15 months. Bayleigh is my special "angel" she was diagnosed with Angelman Syndrome 2 weeks before she turned one. With Angelman Syndrome their motto is "We may not be able to speak but we have much to say" and this is why we now need to learn sign language. Her speach will be extremely limiting. I always wanted to learn just not for these reasons. I have done alot on line and I'm hoping that through here I can find that extra help to learn.

http://lb2f.lilypie.com/vhSMm5.png

http://lb3f.lilypie.com/gcGwm5.png

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)