Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Run or walk????

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 6:35 PM
  • 13 Replies

What do you moms think is better... walk for 30 min. or run for 15 min?

by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 6:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 6:40 PM

I can't say. Are you walking uphill? Running on sand? KWIM? Too many variables lol.

I, am an interval girl. I walk to get started, to a giant hill near my home. I jog down it into the dip, then do football drills up the other side. Walk down, then run the flat stretch, then run as fast as can up the other side, then walk down. You get the idea. Ups and downs, fast and slow. I can't do anything for too long. Boring and innefficient, IMO.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 6:42 PM

I have a trademill and i walk for 30 min. uphill you can say but that is it.

by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 11:34 PM

SO, IF I had a treadmill, *I* would walk slow 5 minutes, then incline pretty high for 10, half incline jog for 10, all the way down and full run for 5, walk for 5 more. See what I'm saying? Change it up, keep your heart rate up, and SWEAT.

If you can wing it, too, you could always try to walk/ jog backwards on it. That's part of the routine I have when I do the hill. Run up it backwards, turn around and go forwards, do hops up it sideays, IDK how to explain that exactly, lol.

I hope this helps. Just keep your body guessing, especially that the treadmill doesn't have the terrain and challenges that outdoors offers.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

by on Nov. 17, 2009 at 4:07 AM

it depends on what you want. the walking is fat burn, the running would be better for your heart.

by on Nov. 17, 2009 at 6:43 AM

calorie wise you'd burn more walking the 30min at 3.5 mph than running for 15min at 7mph but just by a smidge. Here is a chart I found on the diffrent exercises:

If I had 30 to workout I'd run as long as I could and finish up by walking.

"I shall shape my future. Whether I fail or succeed shall be no man's doing but my own. I am the force; I can clear any obstacle before me. Or I can be lost in the maze. My choice. My responsbility. Win or lose, only I hold the key to my destiny." -Anonymous

by on Nov. 17, 2009 at 9:40 AM

Both are good but you will burn more callories running. You could do both, walk for 3 minutes then run for 5, keep switching for 20 to 30 minutes. When you start running go as fast as you can, it will keep your body burning callories for hours (most of the day).

by on Nov. 17, 2009 at 9:46 AM

Right now, it's walking. But then, I'm pregnant, and I can only push myself so far.

Either way, make sure you are stretched and warmed up enough for the activity level you're doing. Otherwise, it's very, very painful.

by on Nov. 17, 2009 at 10:20 AM

walking is good exercise and is a good calorie roaster especially if you do intervals of up and down hills and increase the walking speed.  Running does burn lots of calories but it is also very good cardiovascular.  You want quick results start jogging and challenge yourself to a new distance or speed every two weeks.  Running will also rev up that metabolism which can definitely aid in weight loss, walking can do the same thing but it does not do as much.  I like to run for 20 min or so and I trade of with using an elliptical for 25-30 every other day and that has definitely give me results rather quickly, hope this helps:)

butterfly on headShaunaCPT

by on Nov. 21, 2009 at 11:21 AM

he truth of the matter is running burns and so does walking. If you run then even when you stop, you are still burning more when resting. This doesnt apply as much if you just walk though you burn calories while doing any activity. I losst all my weight by jogging and running my tred mill. I worked a great program with my husband and we lost weight together. I started my program out calorie counting and learning about better calorie intake. I switched completely over to all whole grains/wheat. No white rice & noodles. No sodas whatsoever. Baked foods or broiled. We stopped eating out completely. We stay away from potatoes as mush as possible b/c they dont have enough nutritional value & too much starch via carbs. If I ate carbs like biscuits, toast, pancakes ect, it was in the morning or lunch. You have more time to burn off the carbs or things that are full of carbs/starch. I quit eating after my dinner and stopped eating any time after 6:30pm. Dinner had to be before then. Lots of water too. Jogg/run 1-2 miles/day. stretch everyday which I didnt actually do EVERY day. I feel alot better and healthy. I enjoy some of my kids cookies sometimes and can have any other sweet as long as I dont eat it all the time. I am at 123. this morning. I worked on losing weight simply b/c a total stranger told me I would never see my 120 again. I went to prove them wrong and myself. thanks for reading. I hope some of this helps. Sounds like alot but I started slow.

Have a Great Day!

by on Nov. 21, 2009 at 1:07 PM

I do walking running kills my knees.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)