Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recommend a good starting DVD?

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:44 AM
  • 10 Replies

Okay ... I am 45 and trying to get this weight off. I have had back surgery, and several other injuries. I suffer from severe depression from a death of a child and used food and laying around as a crutch. It has to stop ...

I need to get this weight off as it is just making all my pain worse. I don't know where to start. I can't afford a weight managment plan or course or whatever. My daughter used workout DVD's and she is bringing them to me. I saw a thing about dance (which I love), and how it helps ... I don't want to be in public doing this ... I am a very private person and need to do this at home. 

Can anyone please recommend some DVD's for me?

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ChaoticAtBest
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:35 AM

first I recommend you talking to a physician about what exercises he/she recommends since you have back injuries and others. There are some that will help you and some that could possibly do more damage.

Best of luck on your journey!

SoniaL
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:21 PM

I agree. There are so many great DVDs but I am wondering what your able to do with your back. Do you still have problems and pain?

nana2lots
by on Jul. 13, 2010 at 9:55 AM

I have pain due to being over weight. The doc I had won't see me as I have no insurance anymore. He is the one who said the pain was from overweight. I can move things around I am just careful to lift correctly now and so on.  I know that I need to loose this weight I have developed diabetes now and have high blood pressure. If my body isn't carrying as much weight it won't have to work so hard to do what it needs to do.

Mommy2LnJ
by on Jul. 13, 2010 at 3:22 PM

I would suggest maybe starting simple by walking. It's not exactly in the house, but if you grab headphones and an ipod or something it can be nice. And cutting calories can do wonders. I lost 5lbs last week by cutting back to 1400 calories a day and not eating after 7pm. Also, cut out soda, etc and drink just water and lots of it. Good luck!!

kla2008
by on Jul. 13, 2010 at 3:26 PM

Denise Austin "walk away the pounds" but check with your doctor first. 

DayLily4Anglz
by on Jul. 13, 2010 at 5:30 PM

I use all of the "on demand" work outs on my tv and they are all free. Absolutely love them! There is a lot to choose from so i can change it up, have my favorites, and target different areas. This would be great for you since you can scroll through everything and find what suits you...best of luck and don't give up!

ChaoticAtBest
by on Jul. 13, 2010 at 5:47 PM

Quoting DayLily4Anglz:

I use all of the "on demand" work outs on my tv and they are all free. Absolutely love them! There is a lot to choose from so i can change it up, have my favorites, and target different areas. This would be great for you since you can scroll through everything and find what suits you...best of luck and don't give up!

I was shocked at how many my on demand has too.lol They definitely provide a large variety, dancing, yoga, pilates.. you name it :)

DayLily4Anglz
by on Jul. 13, 2010 at 5:52 PM

Quoting ChaoticAtBest:

Quoting DayLily4Anglz:

I was shocked at how many my on demand has too.lol They definitely provide a large variety, dancing, yoga, pilates.. you name it :)

Yes i love it! My favs are jillian micheals and chris freytag...

~Luv'nTheSunshine~
;-D
nana2lots
by on Jul. 14, 2010 at 12:30 AM

Thanks ladies ... I start in the morning ... using a DVD that looks like stretching and some movement. I really don't want to overdo it and quit. Way too hot here to walk outside, so I am going to improvise a little for now.

Again ... thanks for the advice.

vicky31mom
by on Jul. 14, 2010 at 6:55 AM

Walk Away The Pounds by Leslie Sansone are really good to start. If you have cable and get exercise tv on demnad you can do that. Walking outside is great too! Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)