Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hello!

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 6:20 PM
  • 4 Replies

Hello...I'm new to this group.  I've tried so many weight loss programs, but I just cannot seem to be successful.  Right now, the only thing that works a little is to eat only a bit of breakfast OR a bit of lunch then a regular dinner.  I'm watching fat, sodium, no seconds, proper serving size, no eating between meals...but nothing's working.  We walk when it's not too humid.  I'd like a miracle, please...something short, quick, to the point and something that will bring me success!  Any fairy godmothers out there?

-Linda  confused

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 6:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
lundaylove
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 6:51 PM

you cant just snap your fingers and lose weight unfortunately. i wish it were that easy.

how many calories are you taking in? from what you wrote it sounds like you might not be getting enough, if you dont get at least 1200-1400 calories your body will go in starvation mode and then you wont lose weight like you should be able to.  And you say you walk when its not too humid, when you walk are you getting your heart rate up? if not you arent doing anything to lose weight youd have to walk forever to do that. what other exercises are you doing?

amanda_23
by on Jul. 13, 2010 at 6:10 AM

for the walking part when it's too humid. If you have a dvd player or the wii you can walk and exercise in your living room. I have walk away the pounds videos I use it's been a while but I found when I am sticking to it and working out on the wii fit and wii exercize games like the biggest looser game I tend to loose it more.

tafoot1
by on Jul. 13, 2010 at 3:51 PM

The only videos I use are Rodney Yee's Yoga a.m. and p.m.  And we do have a treadmill (no kidding, it really is my husband's clothes hanging bar!), but I'm not inspired.  It's not a laziness thing...I just was not raised to sweat!  OK...so I'll move his things and use the treadmill...(sigh)

-Linda

QueenieAbby
by on Jul. 14, 2010 at 11:10 AM

hugsI know it can be really frustrating when you are trying so hard but with little or no results.  From what you've listed, you seem to be headed in the right direction.  As a Fitness Nutriton & Personal Training Coach, I come across tons of women who believe they are eating right and healthy... only to find they have to tweak some things in their meal plans to get closer to their goals.  This may be the case with you. 

Trying to eat right and exercise is definitely key.  Regarding exercise, is walking your only source of activity?  If so, I would recommend adding some serious cardio and some resistance training into your routine.  It is the only way to lose fat and stay toned on top of a healthy menu plan. 

As far as eating, the proper calories, macronutrients (protein, carbs, and fats), as well as portion sizes are key when it comes to eating and losing weight.  Breakfast is actually the most important meal of the day as it will help boost your metabolism and burn fat the rest of the day.  So, don't skimp on that meal.  Also, "low fat" diets are a fad and is terribly wrong in their philosophy of losing weight.  This myth came out when there was tons of "trans" fats in pre-packaged, processed, and refined foods.  The FDA has been good about controlling these as of late.  However, if you are eating clean foods, you will not have to worry about "transf" fats.  There are 3 different categories of fats:  saturated, polyunsaturated, and monounsaturated.  The latter two are considered the "healthy" fats, but saturated fats are important to your good health as well.  You need all three.  So, you must get your "essential" fats in order to lose fat... there's no buts or ifs when it comes to this.  Also, you must make sure you have a good source of lean protein in every meal and snack.  So, without further ado, I have listed some tips and a sample meal plan to help you.  I do this for a living, and meal plans are my specialty.  wink  So, I hope this helps you.

1. Get rid of any processed, refined, pre-packaged foods within your kitchen.
  2. Try to eat 5-6 meals per day... even if this includes your 3 regular meals and two snacks.  This will boost your metabolism tremendously.
  3. Make sure you are getting in a protein, veggie/fruit, and essential fat at every single meal... even with snacks.
  4. With including a protein... this includes extra lean beef, skinless chicken breast, white turkey, pork tenderloin, fish, egg whites, low-fat cottage cheese, plain Greek yogurt, skim milk, low-carb protein shake (approx. 17-25 grams protein).  Servings per meal should be 4-5 ounces of meats, 1/2-1 cup of cottage cheese or yogurt, and 8-16 ounces of milk.
  5. With carbs... this includes veggies, fruits, and whole grains.  However, only have your whole grains AFTER a good workout session like resistance or weight training, kickboxing, hiking, etc.  This should be the only time you have whole grains such as "whole grain" bread, brown or wild rice, potatoes, sweet potatoes, and oatmeal.  Even with that, stick to only 1/3 to 1/2 cup of rice or oatmeal, 3-4 ounces of potatoes, and 1 slice of bread.  Try to get in 5-10 veggie servings per day... this would be 1/2 to 1 cup per serving... and this is the extremely important for you to lose weight.  When it comes to fruit, stick to only metabolic resistance fruits such as apples, pears, grapefruit, and berries.  Blueberries and grapefruit are excellent in burning fat, especially belly fat.  Stick to "small" apples, pears, and grapefruits.  For berries, 1/3 to 2/3 cup is good.
  6. With essential fats... this includes nuts such as walnuts and almonds which are the two most important nuts in busting fat, especially belly fat.  Stick to 1-3 TBS. per serving.  Use oils for cooking or salads such as extra virgin olive oil, flaxseed oil, coconut oil, and canola oil... 1-2 teaspoons per serving.  And, use avocados on your salad.  Most importantly, take 2-3 grams of a good quality fish oil per day.  Essential fats are extremely important when trying to burn fat. 
  7. Use measuring tools such as a food scale, measuring cups, and measuring spoons for your food.  The eyeball method isn't always accurate, and sometimes our stomachs make us see things smaller when we are hungry.  If you don't have a food scale, you can get a very economical one at Walmart or your local grocery store for about $7-8.
  8. Drink lots of water and green tea.  Don't drink juices, sodas (not even the diet sodas), or anything else ladened with sugars or artificial sweeteners.  If you need a sweetener for your green tea, use Splenda or Stevia.  Build your water up to 2 liters to a gallon per day.  It will flush the toxins out of your body including the fat.
  9. In preparing your foods and to make it simpler for you since you work, try to take a couple hours out one day (maybe on your day off) and prepare all your meats... just grill or bake them as it's easy.  Slice and dice your veggies and refrigerate... that way you can just grab them when you need them... wash your fruits ahead of time... and do whatever else you can to make the weekly process of preparing and cooking your foods easier for you.  It really does help!
  10. If you aren't currently working out, try to get some activity in each and every day... at least 5-6 days per week. 

A sample menu would be like the following:

1. Meal #1 - Breakfast:  3-4 egg whites (stores sell carton egg whites), 2 slices low-sodium turkey bacon, some veggies (such as onion, tomatoes, green peppers, mushrooms, or whatever other veggies you desire), 1/2 to 1 ounce of cheese --> make an omelet... use a non-stick EVOO (extra virgin olive oil spray) to saute your veggies and cook your eggs.  Drink green tea for your beverage.  Also, take 2 fish oil pills.
  2. Meal #2 - Snack:  1/2 cup low-fat cottage cheese, 1/3 cup blueberries, and 3 TBS. crumbled walnuts.
  3. Meal #3 - Lunch:  1 can chunky light tuna in water, 2 cups Romaine lettuce, 1 small tomato, 1/2 large cucumber, 1/4 cup onions, 2 TBS. regular low-sugar/carb salad dressing.  (Don't worry about the fat in the dressing as it is "good" fats that your body needs to flush out the bad fats.
  4. Meal #4 - Snack:  Low-carb protein shake, 1 small apple, 14 whole almonds.
  5. Meal #5 - Dinner:  4-5 ounces skinless grilled chicken breast, 1-2 cups of green veggies (such as broccoli, asparagus, kale, collards, spinach, green beans, etc.), and 1-1/2 teaspoons of regular butter (not margarine) or EVOO sprinkled on your veggies.
  6. Meal #6 - Snack:  1/2 cup low-fat cottage cheese, 1/2 cup sliced strawberries, 2 TBS. crumbled walnuts or slivered almonds.  (Don't worry about eating after a certain time.  you should eat within an hour before going to bed so that your muscles don't break down during the fasted state of sleeping.  You are not getting any whole grains or starches here, so you will be just fine.)

The above sample meals for the day is great for a non-workout or cardio day.  You may substitute one of the meals for AFTER a workout with a sample of the following:

1. Sample 1:  1 slice whole grain bread (Ezekiel is the best and is in the frozen section), 4-5 ounces of deli oven roasted chicken or turkey breast, 16 ounces of milk (DO NOT add mayo to your sandwich or any fat.  It is very important that you get the carbs into your muscles after your workout, so you don't want to slow down the process with adding fats here.  This is the only meal that contains NO fats.)
  2. Sample 2:  1/2 cup Old Fashioned oatmeal, a metabolic resistance fruit (such as grapefuit, apple, or berries), and low-carb protein shake
  3. Sample 3:  1/2 cup brown or wild rice, 4-5 ounces skinless chicken breast, and grapefruit.

I can guarantee you will lose weight... and not just weight but FAT... if you stick to these guidelines, foods, and measurements.  If they aren't simple enough for you, then try starting with a few to get you started... and then another few... until you have built up to a healthy meal plan.  Good luck!  And, keep me informed on how you're doing!

dumbbell

~ Abby Campbell, MOD, Healthy Weight Loss

"All I have is today. All I have is this moment, this workout, this meal, the next 30 minutes, the next hour. If I just do what I know I must do now, then I know I'll reach my ultimate goal eventually."  ~Tom Venuto, Bodybuilder

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)