Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New with health problems

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 3:04 AM
  • 8 Replies

Hi my name is Tricia, I'm 53 yrs old and I need to lose 40 lbs. The problem is I have several health problems to consider. I have a bad knee that won't support knee bends or squats. I hurt my back a year ago so walking any distance, bending twisdting is not good. I also have Fibromyalgia that make it hard some days to focus. I have started working out in my pool and that seems to be working pretty well. Howevcer I don't feel the burn doing the pool exercises and not even sure if I'm doing any good at all. Any suggestions from anyone regarding workouts or water aerobics.

by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 3:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
ChaoticAtBest
by on Aug. 8, 2010 at 4:04 PM

have you considered maybe Yoga? or Pilates?

FibroMom1957
by on Aug. 9, 2010 at 12:26 PM

I have tried both. I have to be careful because of knee and I have fibromyalgia & Rheumatoid arthritis. I love Yoga and am looking for a class local to me to take. I think I would do better in a class enviroment . I work out 30-40 minutes a day in my pool but still no weight loss. I also have under-active thyroid so sometimes I feel as if I'm beating my head against the wall to try to lose weight.

marsha111
by on Aug. 9, 2010 at 12:43 PM
  • If you are going to try yoga find a heated Vinyasa or slow burn class. The heat is will help the muscles and joints warm and bend more easily. I have many people in my classes with the same health issues and they always feel better after the class. Good luck!
ChaoticAtBest
by on Aug. 9, 2010 at 12:58 PM

Have you talked to your doctors to see what they recommend for you?

FibroMom1957
by on Aug. 9, 2010 at 1:14 PM

My rheumatologist says any exercise in any form is better than nothing. She believes you should keep moving, even through the pain.

gymgirl
by on Aug. 10, 2010 at 4:18 PM

I have many friends at the gym who do water aerobics for there rhuematoid athritis and they love it and makes them move better, However, with the weight loss. would be diet and also w/your thyroid issues make it tougher.

Would your doctor recommend and cardio or weights. They help HUGE in weight loss. But how are your joints. You have alot on your plate. My friend at 26 has had rhuematoid athritis since 4. She just had her hip replaced. I don't think she can lift. I guess it depends where you are. How long have you had that and the fibro if you don't mind me asking.

FibroMom1957
by on Aug. 11, 2010 at 12:13 PM

I've had RA for 25 yrs and fibro/ 6 yrs. The thyroid almost 8 yrs. My son has a weight machine that I am going to start using, beginning with lite weights. Once my family gets back to school next week I can get more routine in my life and start a regular exercise routine besides the pool. I do have to take it easy because of health issues but I think weights will help define and tone me better.

ChaoticAtBest
by on Aug. 11, 2010 at 12:18 PM

Quoting FibroMom1957:

I've had RA for 25 yrs and fibro/ 6 yrs. The thyroid almost 8 yrs. My son has a weight machine that I am going to start using, beginning with lite weights. Once my family gets back to school next week I can get more routine in my life and start a regular exercise routine besides the pool. I do have to take it easy because of health issues but I think weights will help define and tone me better.

I def agree starting out with light weights. I use 2 -3 lb weights when I do my videos. Any thing more and it wears my arms out too quick right now..lol

Good luck momma!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)